HardDrive question...

M

mstruvdisaster

I have a macbook with the 60 gig HD. Out of the box, what is my available memory supposed to be? Should be around 55 or so no?

My problem is I recently had my HD repaired and the memory on my HD was recently wiped clean, which i assume would give me 55+ gigs of memory. But for some reason there is only 32.3 gigs of memory available which makes 20 gigs has disappeared. Anyone know whats up?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
not even close sadly.

on my macbook right from the apple store with an 80Gb HD, i was looking at around 55-60G available.

you could probably free up a little space by removing some apps you may not need (ex: if you have a trial of ms office apps). just be careful not to remove anything necessary.

also you could remove some foreign language support by using "delocalizer" - see this thread for details.
i recovered nearly 3GB by leaving only american english, UK english, and spanish language support.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
you can also remover print drivers you may not need, and garageband takes up a lot of space...along with idvd if you don't have a dvd burner, and imovie if you're never going to use it, but remember you have to reinstall everything if you ever want it again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ibook G4, 14.1,768mb,1.2ghz,60 gig, cdrw/dvd slot drive,extreme card
Yeah but at that amount of space u have on it u should be fine, I just installed tiger 10.4 on my 60 gig and have 55 gig left, so all is well.. AND just so u don't confuse anyone hard drive is measured in SPACE "not the techical term i'm sure" not memory.. The memory refers to RAM memory... lol... I hope this helps! Can't u just install the ilife and pick what u want? I dont have ilife, dont need it.. If I need a burn program I will get toast.. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
are you sure that 20gigs isn't being used by your opering system installation?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
Yeah but at that amount of space u have on it u should be fine, I just installed tiger 10.4 on my 60 gig and have 55 gig left, so all is well.. AND just so u don't confuse anyone hard drive is measured in SPACE "not the techical term i'm sure" not memory.. The memory refers to RAM memory... lol... I hope this helps! Can't u just install the ilife and pick what u want? I dont have ilife, dont need it.. If I need a burn program I will get toast.. :)

how in the world did you manage this? 60gb hd only has 55gb free to begin with! let along with 10.4, probably more like 50gb free

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook white, 2.0 ghz core duo, 2gb ram, 160gb hd, superdrive
I have a 60GB HD and when I brought it home from the store, I had about 32-35GB of free space.

I have about 4.25GB used in my Applications.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Yeah but at that amount of space u have on it u should be fine, I just installed tiger 10.4 on my 60 gig and have 55 gig left...

i think you misread his post - he said it would be fine if that were the case, but he had much less space left.

Reaction score
Hey,

New Mac user and Forum member here.

I know this post thread is quite old now but I thought I'd put my thought on it forward so as to perhaps help anybody else who might have the same problem.

It might be the case that when the Mac was repaired (I don't know what the problem was that caused you to need the repair) and reformatted any bad sectors on the disk (hard-drive) would have been rendered unusable by the process, so that they couldn't be used in the future and cause problems again. This might explain the drastic reduction in usable memory you experienced.

As I say, I realise this post is quite old. I'm not sure what the rules are on posting on dead threads. Apologies, if they're needed.

Gavin.

(I hope this is all posted in the correct fashion, I'm quite new to forums in general:[ )

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Welcome to the board.

There are no hard and fast rules, but digging up a 2+ yr old thread to help is generally not good etiquette. Particularly when the original OP (Original Poster) is no longer even a member of the forum as you'll notice a Posts n/a under his name instead of a Member badge. And if the problem hasn't been solved two years later, uhm, it probably wasn't a problem to begin with.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.