Neat Trick: Ram Reset

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16
I bet most of you know about this trick but I was so excited to learn it I thought I would share.
I was having some trouble with my video Ram (Tech Tool reported a fail after I noticed slowdown on WOW). I called Apple and the guy had me do this series.
Press and hold down power button until it shuts off
Press power button normally to begin startup while pressing {apple, opt, P, R}. I held it down until the chime happened twice. This not only fixed my problem, I think it made my machine a bit quicker as well.
Apparently this resets the video and regular ram.
Just thought you all might be interested.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
It actually just resets the parameter RAM.

This resets the system clock, video settings, etc.

Shutting down *period* resets your system RAM.

OP
traded
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16
ahh, thank you. Learn something new every hour

Reaction score
Thank you - thank you. Have been working with a bizarre reduced color scheme for 2 weeks. It coincided with replacing my left io board (dont get metal dust near your magsafe!!!) so I assumed it was a hardware fault. Phew!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I bet most of you know about this trick but I was so excited to learn it I thought I would share.

Press power button normally to begin startup while pressing {apple, opt, P, R}.

Yes that's a pretty old "trick"...been around a longggg time!:)

But like Summer reruns on TV...if you haven't seen them before, it's new to you!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Thank you - thank you. Have been working with a bizarre reduced color scheme for 2 weeks. It coincided with replacing my left io board (dont get metal dust near your magsafe!!!) so I assumed it was a hardware fault. Phew!!

how in the world did you get metal dust on your magsafe? to be honest you don't want to get metal dust anywhere on your computer, it can short circuits on the motherboard

edit:
wow, old thread, from 2006 :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Only... You should not hold down the power button to shut it off. Shut it off normally !

Doug

Reaction score
how in the world did you get metal dust on your magsafe? to be honest you don't want to get metal dust anywhere on your computer, it can short circuits on the motherboard

edit:
wow, old thread, from 2006 :D

I work part time as a blacksmith / knifemaker (sanity work) and the dust end up everywhere. Hardware some days - sotware others

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.