Made my first webpage, iWeb is awesome!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I mocked up my first web page and though it's pretty basic, I can't believe how easy it was. I was even surprised to find I move and change objects on the template I thought wer part of the background,; like a set of car keys on the photo album template. The blog page feature is really nice too since I don't want to get near myspace.

Before I publish anything I would like to try some other templates. Does anyone know where you can get more templates for iWeb? I've seen a couple sites that offer them, but it looks like you have to make some changes to the program that could cause it not to work properly. It would be nice to get some flash-based also with some animation and effects.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM, 160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm, SuperDrive 6x
I just got my Mac, and I noticed that there where things like iWeb, Garageband, etc. but I didn't have enough time to check them all out. I made websites with Frontpage 2003, so I may have to check this out and see if its more user friendly.

Reaction score
I like the look of iWeb site, but they seem slow to load to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
and with iweb, you have to use apples hosting service,(unless you are super smart and know how to host it on some other site)

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I made websites with Frontpage 2003, so I may have to check this out and see if its more user friendly.

Oh, it beats the **** out of frontpage, that's for sure! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I love Iweb, a child could make a web page with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
and with iweb, you have to use apples hosting service,(unless you are super smart and know how to host it on some other site)
BS!

Do some basic homework.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
with xstep - if it saves in html you could do anything with it.

haven't played much with iweb.

does it have only a wysiwyg editor or does it have text/code support as well (like FP where you can see code, code/preview, or just preview)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
I love and hate iWeb, some times is great but some times is really frustrating. I have been editing the template files for almost 6 months now and even after having some great results, there are little things that just can't be done. Unless iWeb 2.0 fixes those details it will be the end of iLife for me...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
does it have only a wysiwyg editor or does it have text/code support as well (like FP where you can see code, code/preview, or just preview)?
It is WYSIWYG only. I think the blogging function requires dotMac. A simple FTP transfer will allow you to move your whole project or just part of it up to any server. I use Cyberduck to copy these large collection of files.

iWeb kind of allows for multiple projects, but insists on writing them all out to the folder when you ask it to. Even for the minimum change. Seems to me that Apple really wants you to use the dotMac service. When you do, they claim it will only write what it needs to.

It is decent software for the uinitiated. You can make some nice looking pages without digging too much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I learned from experience that you should replace the PNGs iWeb generates with JPEGs. The pages load so slowly with the bloated default PNGs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
does iweb allow you to host it on your own computer if you dont have .mac?

Reaction score

I don't understand why people insist that you have to use a .mac account to host. I'm not that smart but I figured out that you simply select "Publish to Folder" and it iWeb exports your whole website in a folder to your desktop. Then use any FTP program (like CyberDuck) to upload your site to whatever host you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
Yes mr_g5, you can upload/keep your files where ever you want. However, if you don't use a .Mac account you cannot use comments in your blog, use password protection, you cannot use the counters, you cannot use RSS (not sure about this one) and the slideshows doesn't look as good as with .Mac.
When you are ready to publish your page, iWeb creates HTML files for ALL your projects/sites/pages, if you are using a .Mac account it will only upload the pages that had changed to your iDisk (this was fixed with the 1.1 patch). If you are going to publish somewhere else you have to select the files to upload/keep/delete by yourself.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
thanks for the info xstep!

maybe i'll just stick with a basic editor...

or if i can save as html, start something and/or make templates w/iweb, then edit them as i see fit with a program that allows me into the code.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was very disappointed to find that you can't make your own URL (like www.bobsmith.mac) I thought that was what .mac was all about. That seems to be what it implies and what I thought the premium price was going towards. I suppose I would just go buy a name and point it to my .mac website, but still very disappointing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5, iBook, 60gb iPod Photo, iPod mini and two shuffles
Can you put Google ads on an iWeb site?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.