How good is the Built in Webcam in the Macbooks??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
It is the highest quality webcam that I have seen. It is the same as the separate iSight and the microphone is built in. Of course quality of chats depends on how much bandwidth you have

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed with trpnmonkey, the iSight is the best looking WebCam I have ever used. The internal one is the same as the external in quality.

OP
M
Reaction score
It is the highest quality webcam that I have seen. It is the same as the separate iSight and the microphone is built in. Of course quality of chats depends on how much bandwidth you have

oh the mic is built in? so no need for a clunky imcrophone stand
great!

the camera on the pro and the regular macbook is the same right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
Yes the built in one is better than other ones i have used and is by far the best. Sometimes i even take pictures for myspace with them

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
would u mind posting a pic? :)
so i could see the clarity

sure here you go..

photo124eo7.jpg

theres me and all of my uglyness :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The one difference I'm aware of between the built-in camera and the external iSight is that the external has the ability to focus. The internal one has a fixed focus.

I can't be sure the image sensor is any different, but I have both, and they both do a great job.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
don't look so happy matt...
icon12.gif

Reaction score
I have a macbook pro and have used the webcam. The quality is just incredible!! Since my old pc has a logitech cam that is no where as good as the mac one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
It's the best webcam i've ever used. I would recommend a USB mic. Anything over $48 will work for almost anything you could want to do, including Voice Recognition.

OP
M
Reaction score
It's the best webcam i've ever used. I would recommend a USB mic. Anything over $48 will work for almost anything you could want to do, including Voice Recognition.

you dont think the microphone built in the laptop is good?

by the way i just got a macbookpro yesterday and i dont know if its just the lighting in my room but the pic is pretty grainy and poor quality>?

when u guys say its excellent can u take a pic to show this pls?

the pic matt posted looks a bit better quality than mine but doedsnt make me say WOW

OP
M
Reaction score
sure here you go..

photo124eo7.jpg

theres me and all of my uglyness :black:

matt that looks liek a dark room..when i take my pic in a semi well lit room and with the "mock" flash of the photobooth it still looks darker than ur pic?

what lighting did u use?

let me know thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
matt that looks liek a dark room..when i take my pic in a semi well lit room and with the "mock" flash of the photobooth it still looks darker than ur pic?

what lighting did u use?

let me know thanks

i put a lamp real close to the camera so that the flash wouldnt brighten me up and turn me blue. i tends to do that for some reason but thats all the light i used nothing in the background

OP
M
Reaction score
i put a lamp real close to the camera so that the flash wouldnt brighten me up and turn me blue. i tends to do that for some reason but thats all the light i used nothing in the background

so u put the lamp behind the laptop or to the right of the laptop?

i wonder why even though i have all the lights on in my room my pic still appears realy "Grainy"

OP
M
Reaction score

you dont think the microphone built in the laptop is good?

by the way matt do u hav any experience with the built in microphone?

do u think it distorts ur voice at all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so u put the lamp behind the laptop or to the right of the laptop?

i wonder why even though i have all the lights on in my room my pic still appears realy "Grainy"

iMac buddy lol and i put it infront of it close to the camera. it was only a 40 watt bulb and there was a shade on it so it really didnt make it grainy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.