• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Please, enough with "Vista looks just like OSX"!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
I think they are, and the "dashboard/expose´ desktop" as it were, dashboard is just where you see them. In Linux, and stuff you can have multiple desktops open, and view them each individually. And I think this is much the same thing, I think expse´ just automates some functions onto other transparent desktops. That makes three dash/exopse´ 'desktops' if you count, and one regular desktop. So there is 4 already. And soon in OSX 10.5 there will be an extra four desktops available to you in 'Spaces' so that makes 8 desktops that you are using. 1 Main, 3 transparent automated, and 4 custom, or 'smart desktops'. Which makes for a total of 8 desktops.

It provides structured organizational approach to having multiple desktops in a single user environment. Thus making it more accessible to people who don't quite get it. Along with 'Core Animation' this will only get better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
For some reason I sort of assumed that the widgets were a Java type program and not a standard App per-se.

EDIT: From Apple

Based on Web Kit technologies, Dashboard Widgets are created using a mix of HTML, JavaScript, and CSS.

So they are not really stand alone Apps.

I see them as an evolution of the Desktop accessories from the old MacOS, but I still don't think one can honestly claim Apple invented widgets.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
Ok, am i missing something in the description of what a "desktop ornament" is, vs what a "Widget" is.

the 'ornament' page
Bud smiled. "You'd want tiny apps that were good at a specific, limited function that complements the main application. Like a little calculator, for example, that looked like a real calculator. Or maybe an alarm clock, or a notepad for jotting down text. Since the entire screen is supposed to be a metaphorical desktop, the little programs are desk ornaments, adorning the desktop with useful features."

"Well, ornaments have to fit into the world of the main application", Bud responded, "but not the other way around. The main application owns the menu bar, for example, but maybe the ornaments can have a menu when they're active. The main application would still run its event loop, but it would occasionally pass events to the little guys. And of course you can cut and paste between them"
compared to the widget page
Widgets are perfect for working with small amounts of data or interacting with other applications, both on your desktop and across the web. And they provide an excellent way to add functionality to an existing application.

I think it's really a matter of the experience, and the purpose of the application, as opposed to weather it's stand alone or not. Most people don't give two hoots over weather it's stand alone. I mean it doesn't really matter what the codes name is, program=program either way you cut it.

And that how it comes out in the desktop environment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Your looking at it from a user perspective, I'm looking at it from a more technical perspective. The idea and use is very similar, but the implementation is completely different.

I see your point, I just disagree with the statement that Apple "invented" widgets.

Reaction score
I think for many people who know little about both OS's look at vista and see that the graphics are finally starting to look more vibrant, like in OSX. That coupled with the widgets, they feel like it's enough to say someone's copying, but it's obviously a more complicated situation.

Yeah, I agree. I think there is way more into it. I dont think its JUST a case you can call "copying".

Wouldnt it be wonderful if everyone knew no different than MAC!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
Your looking at it from a user perspective, I'm looking at it from a more technical perspective. The idea and use is very similar, but the implementation is completely different.

I see your point, I just disagree with the statement that Apple "invented" widgets.

You could say apple invented the concept of a widget...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33GHz 2Gb
bottom line, programmers steal code from other programmers. Why re-invent the wheel? Besides it really doesnt matter what you "see" its whats inside that counts......pardon the pun, but it seemed to make sense.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.