Quad G5 not booting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.5, Powerbook 17" 1.67
The computer worked great. I'd just gotten it back from the repair guys, plugged it in, used it for a week, it ran GREAT!

Then, I decided to rearrange my office, and unplugged the computer, set it off to the side for several days.

Plugged it back in tonight, powered her up and poof... it won't boot. The monitors stay black, the computer spins up, and just sits there... spinning for a minute or two before the fan kicks into warp speed...

Tried to boot in terminal mode to access the hard drives from my other computer, but the G5 won't boot far enough to allow that. No chime, no nothing... any suggestions?

Thanks guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0
Might be something not getting power...which I don't think you can do anything about. Maybe even a loose connection on the logic board or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
are your moniters connected properly?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.5, Powerbook 17" 1.67
Strange... did some more research... found a bunch of posts about people having problems with their fans running on high speed (nothing related with their computers not booting though) and it was a problem with their clear access panel placement sensor thingy not recognizing the panel as being in place.

So, I opened up the panel, saw lots of dust, blew inside a bit moving the dust around just with the breath from my mouth. Closed things back up and tried again.

Voila, everything works perfect!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Sounds like a loose connection somewhere that opening the box up put to rights. Hopefully it won't do it again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.