Corrupt Images

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
Is there any way to fix corrupt images for Preview or whatever else? Or even just fix them so they can open at all.

I had a HD drive issue, turned out the cable was disconnected inside my tower. Either way, some photos I can't open but may others I can without any issues that are on the same drive. As well as other documents I have on this 2nd drive.

The Error Message I get is:

"Couldn't open the file. It may be corrupt or file formate that Preview doesn't recognize."

I've opened these .jpg or .jpeg in Preview and other apps. many times. But what boggles me is that the other images on this drive open just fine. Its just two folders. My friends wedding Pics and a folder of my friend and I at a party.

The main folder Im really concerned about is the pics I took for my best friends wedding. I'd just hate to loose them.

Thanks for your help if you can.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Chances are you have some bad sectors on your hard drive so the data isn't what it is supposed to be. You are most likely out of luck unless you want to use a very expensive recovery service

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chances are you have some bad sectors on your hard drive so the data isn't what it is supposed to be. You are most likely out of luck unless you want to use a very expensive recovery service

What would be this recovery service? I may be willing to pay the price if its within a price range I can afford for the Wedding photos I took.

Thanks for your input.

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks.

Im actually copying over some of the things that are good, but after I do that could I just erase and redo the drive? Or will it still be bad even if I erase the whole thing and start fresh?

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.