Is it worth the upgrade?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
travis,

I figure for what im using it for, it should serve me well. plus, i got the machine free, so really the upgrades are even more of a bonus....

Agreed completly. I use my Digital Audio with the 1.8Ghz G4 all the time and it's a very useable system. Good luck with the upgrading. If you have any problems/Questions, be sure to ask!!

And FREE is always nice!!

...Dennis

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Hey Steve, if you're going to get rid of the 733 cpu, let me know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1.5Ghz, 2GB RAM, DVDRW, 360GB HDD
I upgraded mine to a 1.5Ghz with 2GB RAM and I am EXTREMELY happy with it. Works perfectly for DV (and HDV) editing etc etc. The only thing is, I bought a flashed PC Geforce 6200 card which sometimes just boots to a blue screen. lol

Go the upgrade!!!

Just check that your logic board is compatible with dual processors. Mine wasn't :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
Hey Punkr0x0r, I don't know if this came up already, but many of the early sawtooths (sawteeth?) especially the 400-450MHz models won't take the dual upgrades. There is a little utility program that can tell you whether your motherboard will or will not accept dual processors, but for the life of me I can't remember where I downloaded it from. I think maybe it was Gigadesigns website. I had a 450MHz sawtooth that wouldn't take a dual. :-( As Baggss says it may be better to just get the fastes single processor that you can afford anyway.

good luck

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Hey thanks for the info! I did a Google search for "Gigadesigns" and found a site that sells G4 cpu upgrades for substantially cheaper than Sonnet and MacSales.com ($259 for a single 1.8ghz). They have no software listed on their site, but I'm going to keep searching. If I can put a dual CPU in it, I will, if not, a single 1.8 would most likely suffice.

EDIT: The program is called "CPU Director" and it's made by PowerLogix.

EDIT 2: Here's what CPU Director says about my G4 Sawtooth. I didn't know it had Gigabit ethernet until now. So now I'm debating on dual 1.3ghz cpu's or a single 1.8ghz cpu.

picture2jg0.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
That is a tough call. www.xlr8yourmac.com may have some benchmarks (or links to benchmarks) that compare them directly. OWC may have some benchmarks on their site as well. Either way, you'll notice a huge improvement over 400MHz.

I had a gigadesigns 1.4 GHz upgrade and I was able to run it overclocked to 1.5 for several years.

Reaction score
If you can afford the duals, get them...huge difference over singles. www.macsales.com has some benchmarking on their site, im gone with dual 1.6s, maxing out 1.5 gigs of ram, 2 120gig hds, and a ati 9800....should suit me fine when shes up and running.....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.