irc clients for mac!

C

CaptainStandish

hey guys whats up? i was just wondering what a solid, easy to use irc client is for mac. Pros and cons of each would really help out, thanks a lot!!!!

OP
S

StarManta

I like Xchat Aqua. (Takes a lot of customization, but it's a great client)

Other ones that people like:
Snak (Pretty similar to Xchat. Not free, though.)
Ircle (I don't like the interface, but if you do, it's a good client)
iRC (Never used it.)
Conversation (has the nice Panther look, but annoys me in that it doesn't allow you to use / commands)

OP
J

jsgates

I'll second the Xchat Aqua, but I like it after very little customization. (Just a couple of quick changes in preferences such as turning off indented nicks, and adding seconds to the time stamps.)

OP
S

StarManta

I've recently found a program called Minerva that is a bit better than X-chat; unfortunately, it's not free so I'll probably be switching back to X-chat when my trial runs out. Search on Macupdate for Minerva.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2 GHz, 20"
CaptainStandish said:
hey guys whats up? i was just wondering what a solid, easy to use irc client is for mac. Pros and cons of each would really help out, thanks a lot!!!!

I was also using Snak and was 100% satisfied with it... but tried x-chat aqua and I am loving it... and it is free as a bonus... ;-)

cheers - pistooli

OP
S

s3pt1k

X-chat Aqua does take some configuration to get it "where you want it", but it is the best client out there for OS X IMO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2 GHz, 20"
StarManta said:
I just went back to try Conversation again.... and it sucks a lot less than it used to. About the only thing missing from it right now is multiple server support.... but at least it finally supports /commands. And the interface is spot-on.

http://www.conversation.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Download.html
it is nice... I have not found the option to automatically connect a server and join a channel after starting the program... is it possible?

cheers - pistooli

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
What servers are there to IRC on? I used to go to one but no one is ever there any more

OP
R

ryu

i like using irssi cocoa. i was wondering if xchat supports the transparent functionality in the aqua version.

OP
S

StarManta

ryu: yep.

I've switched back to X-chat... Conversation was too much "training wheels" for me.

OP
S

StarManta

WHOA!

Just discovered Colloquy on macosxhints.... I am officially impressed. It looks *better* than Conversation, is better integrated into OSX (Uses address book for buddy list), comes with a large number of themes (including "Novel".... check the attached pdf to see what it looks like, pretty interesting) and doesn't play "My First IRC" the way Conversation does. All in all an amazingly elegant client - go check it out.

View attachment Picture 3.pdf

OP
S

s3pt1k

StarManta said:
WHOA!

Just discovered Colloquy on macosxhints.... I am officially impressed. It looks *better* than Conversation, is better integrated into OSX (Uses address book for buddy list), comes with a large number of themes (including "Novel".... check the attached pdf to see what it looks like, pretty interesting) and doesn't play "My First IRC" the way Conversation does. All in all an amazingly elegant client - go check it out.

OK...Agreed...Colloquy is pretty cool

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2 GHz, 20"
StarManta said:
WHOA!

it is nice to have such a choice for good and free irc clients...

:)

cheers - pistooli

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 17.in screen. 1.8GHz, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.
i hate those with the / commands...dont anybody here use colloquy or smth.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.