2.5 Ghz G5?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Need some guidance here....

I want to buy a Single 1.6 GHz G5, 1Gb Ram, ATI Radeon 9600 Pro, Bluetooth, 17" Studio Display G5!

I wanted to know if any one knows of Apple coming out with the 2.5 Ghz G5? If they do release the 2.5 will they still have the single 1.6? if they do still have the 1.6, will the price be lower than it is today? and my last question, if they do get rid of the 1.6, what will it be replaced with and how much will it be?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
if apple releases 2.5 G5, most likely they will upgrade iMacs with 1.6 G5. though will need new cooling system.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, but that just doesn't seem logical.....Just because they can make a large system like the G5 faster doesn't mean that they can fit still a huge system in a small space like the iMac... There just isn't any support in that statemnet....I might me missing something here, but why would making the G5 faster, make the slower model smaller?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, not to rude or anything but, that didn't answer my initial question shown in the poll.....

C

Chamorro

ApplejustWorks said:
Need some guidance here....

I want to buy a Single 1.6 GHz G5, 1Gb Ram, ATI Radeon 9600 Pro, Bluetooth, 17" Studio Display G5!

I wanted to know if any one knows of Apple coming out with the 2.5 Ghz G5? If they do release the 2.5 will they still have the single 1.6? if they do still have the 1.6, will the price be lower than it is today? and my last question, if they do get rid of the 1.6, what will it be replaced with and how much will it be?

I'd personally stay away from the 1.6 G5, mainly b/c it still uses some "older" technology...a recent Dual G4 would probably be a better choice. Have you tried looking for the single 1.8? Since Apple's stopped making them, they should be discounted.

Also, if and when Apple updates the G5 line, you should be able to find the Dual 1.8 closer to the price of a current 1.6. I'm guessing that when they update, they low-end version will be a much better machine than the current 1.6.

C

Chamorro

ApplejustWorks said:
and my last question, if they do get rid of the 1.6, what will it be replaced with and how much will it be?

Sorry...forgot to add that I think the price of the next low-end G5 will probably be within 200 of the current 1.6.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
when you say it uses some older technology, what do you mean? And when you say I'd be better off looking at a dual G4, wouldn't that have the same "old" technology?

J

JohnXE

I think it will be possible to put the IBM Power PC CPU used in G5s in other smaller systems because IBM is supposedly putting it in the next Xbox, and as time goes along big tech always gets smaller, or could be made smaller.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
-------------------------------------------------

Sorry, but that just doesn't seem logical.....Just because they can make a large system like the G5 faster doesn't mean that they can fit still a huge system in a small space like the iMac... There just isn't any support in that statemnet....I might me missing something here, but why would making the G5 faster, make the slower model smaller?
------------------------------------------------

G4 laptop also seemed impossible, but we gort one. now there are rumors of upcoming G5 laptop. I consider possible iMac G5 as a transition from desktop to laptop. apple wont stick with G4 for more then 3-5 years. major problem is the power usage and coolong system of G5. as soon as apple overcomes this issues, I can asure you, we will see G5 in iMac and it will happen before the G4 laptop. same thing was G4, it started in high end workstations and now there is one even in iBook.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MAC-simus said:
-------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------

G4 laptop also seemed impossible, but we gort one. now there are rumors of upcoming G5 laptop. I consider possible iMac G5 as a transition from desktop to laptop. apple wont stick with G4 for more then 3-5 years. major problem is the power usage and coolong system of G5. as soon as apple overcomes this issues, I can asure you, we will see G5 in iMac and it will happen before the G4 laptop. same thing was G4, it started in high end workstations and now there is one even in iBook.
I do understand this, yet it still doesn't answer my inital question shown on the poll; Would I be better off buying a G5 now, or later according to the poll and first post?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
i would say, do not buy it. the model still needs to be "polished" I would wait untill summer-aughtumn. its not just the CPU, whole system needs some tune up.
read more in disscussions of G5 in this forum, it may change your plans.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.