• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Lojack for your Mac, Laptop Security.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I did a search and was surprised to see this topic hadn't come up yet. I've heard about this service before and found a website that offers the service for $49.99 per year.

I suppose having everything backed up and some kind of insurance would be fine, but with all the sensitive info on my computer, would just rather not let someone walk away with it if stolen. Of course there would always be the wierd feeling like "big brother" knows where you are.

Anyone use a service like this or decided not to for some reason? What kind of security do you use in case your laptop/desktop is stolen??

Reaction score
for very sensitive information, have a mounted encrypted folder (covered in this month's macworld)

then if it's stolen, your data is still safe.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
http://www.orbicule.com/undercover/recovery.html

That service does a great job (I know two people on my campus who have been able to recover their laptops this way) and is a onetime fee

Sounds nice, but I wonder if they would be as effective for an American client. I wonder if the iSight light comes on when it takes a pic of the thief? I think that would tip them off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Its an american company.

Most thieves I would bet don't know that the light isn't supposed to be on

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Didn't notice that. I talked to their support in California when I purchased the wrong licensing key. The story they have posted is from NC and the two people i know are from the us

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.