Should I Order my Macbook from Apple.com or go 2 Apple Store? (makes a difference?)

Reaction score
does it make a difference if i buy the laptop from the apple store or if i buy it online?

if i buy it online it seems like its more "fresh" for some reason as its being shipped directly to you from the factory...

or is this kind of thinking dumb lol (pardon me i mean i am a newbie!)

i do plan on upgrading to 2gb from the default 1gb..

att his point i think im going to get a macbook , i may get a powerbook..

i can either go to apple tomorrow or order online tomorrow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
If you go to the apple store you can probably carry it home with you, and begin to use it immediately. I dislike paying for something and then waiting for shipment, but thats me. Bumping up your ram is a good idea.

No matter how you decide to purchase I am sure you will enjoy your new machine. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
If you can, just get it from the Store. It's the same price and instant; and there's no difference between a boced unit sitting on a shelf in a warehouse and on a shelf in a store.

Also, if you have any questions about exactly what you want, like glossy vs. matte screen, you can compare them in the store before you buy.

Plus you can check out other things you might need, like a sleeve to protect it. When I went to the store, the people were pretty nice and not pushy. I think it helped that they didn't work on commission, but I've heard other people complain the workers were lazy, Of course you don't have to worry about that if you just walk in and say "bring me out a _____"

And that feeling of walking out of the store with that box while others watch in envy, oh that can't be beat!!

If you only want to upgrade the RAM, buy the 1 gig model from Apple and them buy extra RAM and install it yourself. Apple really ripps you off for RAM.

Reaction score
FWIW, I bought my MBP from MacConnection.com, which is an authorized reseller. Free shipping and no tax, so you actually save money if you can wait a few days for delivery. Also, when I bought (two weeks ago) they had a rebate through Apple ... I got $150 back. So all told, my MBP cost me about $275 less than if I'd purchased it at the Apple Store or through apple.com ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8GB iPhone, MacBook Pro (15",2.33 C2D), MacBook (2.0 C2D), 4 iPods (20GB, Mini, Nano, Shuffle)
I think the decision often boils down to how fast do you need it (or want it). If you can wait a few days until it's shipped, you might find a good deal online or a bundle with some cool extras or accessories.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 4GB RAM
Doesn't really make a difference but I almost always buy in store when possible because I prefer instant gratification :)

OP
M
Reaction score
I just noticed that online they dont allow u to choose if u want a matte or glossy screen?
what gives -_-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
if your like me you cant wait to open it. store ftw. when i my stuff i open it in the car no matter what it is lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
uh, im pretty sure they do allow you to choose glossy or not. you have to select a specific model, and then in the ram, hd, accessaries options, its in there

OP
M
Reaction score
uh, im pretty sure they do allow you to choose glossy or not. you have to select a specific model, and then in the ram, hd, accessaries options, its in there

actualy it lets u choose ram, hd, accessories etc. but NOT screen glossy or screen matte :(

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you choose the default options, then you can get it at either place. If the system is a BTO, then you will have to order from the Apple web site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
stock 17" 2.8ghz unibody mbp.
if you buy from the store, you can probably open up the box to see if the comp is scratch free etc. when i got my powerbook 1.5 year ago via online store, i got a piece of gunk stuck on the screen release button (that wasn't "removable") and a small scratch on the bottom of the case..

if you want upgrade options / build to order - than you'll have to do that online otherwise, i believe you can pick up from the store.

other than that - why not just get it from the store, unless you like sh*tting your pants waiting for it to get sent to your house..

ps. if you're a student attending / faculty member of a college / univ / post secondary eduction - there's a student discount (about 10% off).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16
actualy it lets u choose ram, hd, accessories etc. but NOT screen glossy or screen matte :(

you can choose your screen type online...its the third choice from the top.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...6844000/wo/dJ4ljWz0KhYS2uuc0YCJw5DHypn/2.?p=0

Display
At no extra charge, you can choose a glossy widescreen display that lets you view graphics, photos, and videos with greater color contrast.
Learn more

MacBook Pro 15-inch Widescreen Display
MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display

Reaction score
I was able to haggle just a bit when i got my computer at the store. I got a 17" powerbook, microsoft office, .mac, and an ipod at the same time, they gave me a deal on the ipod, half off on the microsoft package, and the .mac thing for free, they might give this to everyone for free. i dont know.
My roommate is buying a mac laptop this week, he was gonna get it online last night but i told him to wait and try to haggle a bit at the store. I will let you guys know if he can get a decent deal also.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.