How to retrieve data from hidden volumes?

Reaction score
I have just returned to Mac after a break of some 10 years (the blue screen of death became a right royal pain) and have been very happy with the reliability of my new machine. However, I have recently noticed a problem.....

I have some volumes on my new MacBook that are hidden. Problem is, that I have managed to save some MP3's to these volumes. I can see them from the open file menu of Itunes, but not from within the finder. They have the same name, or similar names to my external hard disk. How can I copy all the data from these volumes and subsequently delete them?

I use a firewire external hard disk formatted for windows - might this be the cause of the problem? I would like to know thee root cause as I am sure this is related to a previous problem where the hard disk appeared to be filling up with data that I couldn't locate.

I imagine this will be through terminal, but I have not been able to locate a good lexicon of terminal commands.

I am running tiger.

many thanks

Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
You can use the cp command in Terminal to copy all your files from the hidden volume.

$cp /<source> /<desitnation> (eg. cp /Volumes/<Hidden volume name>/<Folder> /Users/<User Name>/Music/iTunes/

If you want to browse to the hidden volume try cd command (eg. cd /Volumes/<Hidden Vol. Name>/<Folder Name>

If you want to display the content try ls -al (list all files and filders)

Not sure about the root cause of the problem but the above commands(s) should do the job.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.