EyeTV Deinterlace

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
Anyone who has EyeTV, can anyone use progressive scan without trouble on a macbook? I know it says it requires a fast mac, but I have a 2 Ghz core duo macbook with 1 GB ram and although it displays progressive scan alright, if i record it it gets very choppy, and then the audio is off in the ipod export of the recording as well. I thought I had a pretty fast mac but apparently it's not fast enough?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
What product are you using and what video quality are you attempting to record at

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
I'm using a beta, 2.3.3b8, but on the latest final release it happens as well. I'm recording at best quality (720x480). Should this be working or is my computer just not fast enough?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I believe your computer is not fast enough, I think when they say a fast mac they mean a powermac or a mac pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm using a beta, 2.3.3b8, but on the latest final release it happens as well. I'm recording at best quality (720x480). Should this be working or is my computer just not fast enough?

I wasn't asking software. Hardware wise what tuner are you using? And what is the file format you are recording

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sorry...i have an eyetv hybrid, and it's recording to a .eyetv format, since thats how eyetv works until you export. i guess i just won't record using progressive scan. thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It records it in to a specific format, but it uses the .eyetv extension until you actually export the file (You will notice if you export it in whatever the native stream that you import it in as that it goes incredibly fast). You can see the format in preferences.

The big problem you are running into is that the Hybrid has to do all of the processing on your computer. It can handle the live deinterlacing because it doesn't need to worry about writing it to the hard drive.

I have a Plextor unit which has hardware encoding so my MacBook doesn't have to do any of the actual video encoding, freeing up the processor almost completely for the deinterlacing

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've just noticed that sometimes it is ok, however. Should I close other programs when recording maybe? Also, does the fact that I'm recording to an external harddrive have anything to do with it? Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the external drive shouldn't be a problem since both firewire and usb2.0 can transfer faster than the size of video being recorded.

When you are recording take a look in Activity monitor at your processor and ram usage to see how much is being taken up. I like to restart my computer to clear the memory when i am going to record a show and don't use any other programs (my favorite part of having two machines)

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
while recording progressive scan and using ichat, firefox, virtuedesktops and widgets, activity monitor says %user: ~%70 and %system: ~6%. I'm not sure what anything means in the activity monitor...

anyway, while recording just then, everything went smoothly, except when i exported the short clip for ipod, the audio was a fraction of a second off, but nothing that bad. I wonder why that happened though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
while recording progressive scan and using ichat, firefox, virtuedesktops and widgets, activity monitor says %user: ~%70 and %system: ~6%. I'm not sure what anything means in the activity monitor...

anyway, while recording just then, everything went smoothly, except when i exported the short clip for ipod, the audio was a fraction of a second off, but nothing that bad. I wonder why that happened though.
More important than what percentages being used is the percentage that is idle.

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
percentage idle appears to be hopping anywhere from 20-30%

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
percentage idle appears to be hopping anywhere from 20-30%
That should be fine for when you are recording. Means you still have some available processor for encoding/deinterlacing. It shouldn't be choppy as long as you still have idle processor amounts. If you are hitting 0-1% then that would explain why you are choppy. Also check system memory to see if you have any available

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It gets close to 1000 MB when recording, did you say I should restart to help that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Restarting clears out the memory that is allocated for applications that you used at some point

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, thanks for all your help.

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey, thanks! I'm not sure what's different about this version, but it appears to be taking less computer usage...sweet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.