Help!!! Is my iMac G4 700mhz dead?

S

Szpectre

I have an iMac G4 700mhz that suddenly went t*ts up and I now think I have a very expensive paperweight.

When I start it, seconds later it displays a grey screen... no apples or anything written... and it will just stay that way.

I have tried swapping the PRAM battery, tried apple, control, P + R. I have tried holding down on the c button during start up. I have disconnected everything except the keyboard and mouse. I have even tried reloading to a different HD. Nothing is working.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am completely lost.

Thank you,

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
Sounds kinda dead to me...

Had you done anything to it recently before it died?

OP
S

Szpectre

I was using it, it kicked off for no reason (that I know of. The power in the rest of the house was ok), then when it came back up it was nothing but a grey screen. The hard drive sounds like it spins up but nothing happens.

Reaction score
It's not gone yet...take it to an Apple store and they will help you. The great thing is they usually only charge if they have to replace parts or swap info.

OP
M

MacHeadCase

Try inserting the CD with the Hardware Test on it in the optical drive (if you can get it to open that is). Then shut it down and restart while holding the C key down during boot up. If it works, run the diagnostic Hardware Test in Extended Mode. See what it says and let us know.

If you can't get the CD player to open, on boot up hold down the mouse button. That ought to open the CD player tray... Then insert the Hardware Test CD and reboot with the C key thingy...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.