itunes opening automatically, unwanted, changed preference?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook, 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 512 MB. first gen ipod nano, 4 gig black
so my Itunes keeps opening on it's own. I think I changed a preference somewhere, but I can't figure out where, and I need to make it stop. it will open even after I have completely closed down the program, and it checks the Itunes store. I have no idea where the preference is, can someone help me out? it keeps opening over my other programs, and I can't leave it off, it turns itself back on! I don't want to have to delete the program and re-download it!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, seriously, I hate having to do this, but *bump*
anyone? anyone? bueller?
please!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
are you sure you're quitting it completely? (does the icon on the dock still have a black arrow?)

if not, make sure to either context click on the dock icon and quit, or go to the apps' name on the menu bar, and quit from that menu.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
try deleting you com.apple.itunes.plist file.... it will clear all your itunes settings and should fix it. it can be found in user>library>prefences

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes, it's completely closed. I'm not that computer illiterate. I'm pretty bad with computers, but I'm not that bad.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
when people don't say, you can't assume - just covering the bases (no offense!
icon12.gif
)

Reaction score
Itunes automatically opening

Go to iTunes preferences - Store - uncheck "automatically check for available downloads".

That worked for me.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Easy!

so my Itunes keeps opening on it's own. I think I changed a preference somewhere, but I can't figure out where, and I need to make it stop. it will open even after I have completely closed down the program, and it checks the Itunes store. I have no idea where the preference is, can someone help me out? it keeps opening over my other programs, and I can't leave it off, it turns itself back on! I don't want to have to delete the program and re-download it!

Hey, it is really easy to fix. :) All you have to do is:

1) Click on the iTunes icon in the dock but holding your click until the menu appears. (Or, if you have right click enabled, just right click on the iTunes icon in the dock and that works too).

2) There should be a tick by 'Open at Login'.

3) Simply click on 'Open at Login' and the tick will go away and it's all sorted.

I hope that helps. :D

Reaction score
ITunes will not close...

I had the same issue where I would close iTunes and it would automatically open. I tried most of the suggestions I could find. I don't know if this will work for you but I was "sharing" my library with other devices in my house. When I turned that off, the problem went away. Maybe that will help you too. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.