Urgent Help Needed!

P

PLUTO

HELP! My Lacie drive went down. I managed to get it recovered and put on a different drive. The problem is that some files have lost their extensions and become UNIX EXECUTABLE FILES. ??:alien: Also, my installers have now become folders. Eg, i had an installer called INSTALL ORANGE VOCODER which u double click on and it did its thing. Now, its a folder called INSTALL ORANGE VOCODER,with files and folders such as MasOS, Resources, info-macos.plist.txt inside it. It's like its been decompiled or something.
And some other installers have changed to .macappl
???
I know that the drive was recovered by some kind of PC :mad:

With certain files i can change the extension myself and it works, such as files that i know were .wav files , but others such as installers i have no clue.
CAN ANYBODY HELP PLEASE?
The original drive was MacOsX formatted, if it helps.......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Sorry to hear about the trouble. If the file extensions are missing you can use the filecommand to identify the file type.

Open the Termnal.app
Goto the directory where you have the file (with a missing extension).
Type file <filename> and hit enter.
This should reveal the file type.

eg. If you have a file called "test" in the Document folder
user$cd ~/Document <hit enter> (change directory)
user$file test <hit enter> (this will reveal the file type)
user$mv test test.txt <hit enter> (This will rename the file)

If you try to identify all the files through this method, you will have to spend rest of your life renaming the recovered file :) Perhaps someone can write a small shell script to automate the task. Sorry I can't help you on that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.