I just made the switch! A few ?'s...

K

krazykomrade

I just got my new MacBook Pro last week, and I'm very happy with it! There are so many new features that I've just fallen in love with, expose and dashboard are some of my favorites. It took a bit of getting used to, however, and I spent a couple hours each night this past week researching how to utilize it. I still have a few questions/problems that I couldn't readily find help on, and I was hoping the generous people on this forum could help! I know this is unusually long, and I dont want to be a "leech," but I've hit a dead end!

1. Azureus.
A) Every time I start it, I get an error message "Failed to establish listen on port UDP:49156. Check that other applications aren't already using this port. Also check for another copy of Azureus running." Under System preferences-->Sharing, I have "personal file sharing" turned on, then under firewall (which I have turned on) I have Azureus checked, and under "edit" for azureus, I have TCP and UDP ports selected for 49156, to allow traffic. So, it seems like it should work, but its not!
B) Also with Azureus, sometimes when the program is minimzed, and I bring it up, on the top menu all that is displayed is the "Azureus" tab of the menu, not file, view, transers, etc. I think it is some sort of glitch?

2. Safari. Safari wont open certain pages that it has opened in the past. One example is Google Maps. I have used google maps before on this computer, so I know it is possible, but lately when I try to go to it I get the message: "Safari can’t connect to the server. Safari can’t open the page “http://maps.google.com/” because it could not connect to the server “maps.google.com”." This happens to many websites.

3. The Dock. Normally, when I click an item on the dock, it launches that program or action. But every now and then, it instead just brings up a menu where I have the option of "open" as well as other options. This is when I am left clicking, as normal. But I have never messed with the settings of the dock! Again, this only happens sometimes, but it is really annoying, and it worries me that my brand new mac might be glitching.

4. Keyboard/Trackpad. Is there any way to right click using the button below the trackpad? The button is like 3 or 4 inches wide, it seems like common sense that the left side of the button would be left click, and the right side of the button would be right click. But no, the whole **** button is left click, and its a pain in the *** to have to press the apple button and then click. Is there any way to fix it so that that the trackpad mouse click button has right click? Also, what are the keyboard shortcuts for Expose and Dashboard?

5. Memory. A lot of the time, when I go into dashboard, and look at the statistics thing about my mac, it shows that all my RAM is in use! And I'll only be running Safari and iChat, and both of those will be minimized and not actively doing anything. Where is all my RAM going?

5. The dreaded wierd noise. I nearly **** myself the first time I heard it. It sounded like the CD drive was reading a CD (Which the mac does INCREADIBLY LOUDLY I might add to my dismay, I hope they all do that and its not just my drive) but there is no CD, I dont know if it is a fan or what, but it sounds much louder than a laptop should sound. This happens when I'm not even doing anything intense on the computer, just running safari and looking something up on wikipedia and then BAM my mac starts humming like crazy. Its only done this twice, but thats enough to worry me. I have a "second generation" macbook pro, and purposely waited to get one instead of the first generation, because I heard it was a problem with them.

6. FireVault. I turned it because I like the idea of having my computer as secure as possible, but every time I shut down, it says something like "firevault has detected your home folder is taking up more room than neccesary, it is reccomeneded that firevault clear this up" and I always click yes, and it takes an additional 30-60 seconds to shut down. Should this happen every time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
1a. Check your that all UDP traffic isn't being blocked in the Sharing Prefs>Firewall> Advanced.
1b. I'm not sure about that one, I'd try re-installing the app.

2. Sounds like an intermittent internet connection. If your using wireless you could be out of on the fringe of your range or some soft of interference either near you or the router. microwaves and cordless phones on the 2.4ghz band.

3.You are holding the button a split second too long. When you hold down the button for a sec it has the effect of right click. THIS IS NOT GLOBAL.

4. I don't have a new Mac so I use a app called iScroll that gives me right click and scrolling functionality. I'm sure a quick search can turn up an app or solution for MBP's.

5.You should open Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder. Select All Processes and sort by real memory for a more detailed view of what's using RAM. Lots of Widgets can use RAM too. OS X is very efficient with RAM, but more is always welcome.

6. Strange... anybody have a notion here?

7. FileVault not "FireVault," basically encrypts all your info on the fly. I think it makes use of a temporary folder. Which is the source of the extra space. It's normal for it to do this on a shutdown its just making the changes permanent and finalizing the encryption.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
for the right click function go to system prefs under apple menu,
trackpad tab,
select "tap trackpad using two fingers for secondary click"

also if the options for two finger scroll are not checked, you may want to try this. very slick.

by the way, my macbook's superdrive is pretty loud when loading/unloading nd it does wind up loudly also when doing very fast accesses.

Reaction score
2. Safari. Safari wont open certain pages that it has opened in the past. One example is Google Maps. I have used google maps before on this computer, so I know it is possible, but lately when I try to go to it I get the message: "Safari can’t connect to the server. Safari can’t open the page “http://maps.google.com/” because it could not connect to the server “maps.google.com”." This happens to many websites.

Sounds like more of a network connection issue than a Mac problem to me. I have noticed, for whatever reason, that my MBP will sometimes fail to connect to my network on power-up or wake-up. I have to go in and manually connect.

3. The Dock. Normally, when I click an item on the dock, it launches that program or action. But every now and then, it instead just brings up a menu where I have the option of "open" as well as other options.

You're touching the trackpad with two fingers instead of one ... a two-finger tap is translated as a right-click.

edit: IronMac is probably correct about the too-long button press as opposed to my guess above. I didn't know that you could bring up the Dock menus that way, thanks IronMac! Too bad it's not global.

4. Keyboard/Trackpad. Is there any way to right click using the button below the trackpad?

Not that I'm aware of, the key is not sensitive to which side/part you press. However, the two-finger trackpad click mentioned above becomes second nature very quickly in my experience.

Also, what are the keyboard shortcuts for Expose and Dashboard?

F9: shows all open windows on the screen, click one to bring it to front
F10: works like F9, but only for windows of the current application (e.g., if you have multiple Safari windows open, it will show you all Safari windows and let you click one to bring to front)
F11: clear the desktop
F12: brings up Dashboard

5. Memory. A lot of the time, when I go into dashboard, and look at the statistics thing about my mac, it shows that all my RAM is in use! And I'll only be running Safari and iChat, and both of those will be minimized and not actively doing anything. Where is all my RAM going?

I don't have a "statiscis thing" in my Dashboard. When I run Activity Monitor right now, it is showing me 1.46GB free on my 2GB machine running two Safari windows, Mail, and 7 Dashboard widgets. Starting iChat dropped it down to 1.43GB free.

5. The dreaded wierd noise.

A number of people have complained about this but I haven't experienced it myself. The only time my SuperDrive makes noise is when I am running a disk. One thing that is unlikely but possible: if you accidentally hit the disk eject button (right next to F12), the disk will try to eject. If it's blocked because the computer is on your lap, the disk will fail to eject and restart. Since Mac doesn't "autorun" like WinXP, it just makes noise without anything else happening. I realize it's a long shot, but that's all I can think of. Short of the SuperDrive, my new MBP is silent as can be.

Hope this helps, at least a little. Stay safe!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
However, the two-finger trackpad click mentioned above becomes second nature very quickly in my experience.

reminds me, my wife broke the wireless connection from her hp laptop a few days back. i had to fix it, which obviously required lots of context clicking, half the time i found myself two-finger taping and two finger scrolling a trackpad that had no idea what i was asking for...
icon12.gif

it was actually a little infuriating.

Reaction score
BTDT, eric. I am running three PC notebooks plus Boot Camp on my MBP.

Basic rule of cult psychology, create a separate language for cult members so that they have a harder time communicating with non-cult friends and family. Mac gives us these tools like context menu clicks and two-finger scrolling so that we can no longer use PCs efficiently. It's a conspiracy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.6GHz i5 8GB RAM 1TB HDD OSX Yosemite
ToddG, How do I find and use Activity Monitor? I'm wondering what my macbook is doing...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
ToddG, How do I find and use Activity Monitor? I'm wondering what my macbook is doing...

spotlight search...

or applications>utilitys

OP
K

krazykomrade

Sounds like more of a network connection issue than a Mac problem to me. I have noticed, for whatever reason, that my MBP will sometimes fail to connect to my network on power-up or wake-up. I have to go in and manually connect.

I dont think its a network connection issue for a few reasons. First off, my laptop never is more that 2, maybe 3 feet away from airport. Secondly, I've never had any trouble connecting to the internet. It always works. Except some site, like youtube, and googlemaps, never work. Its only those websites, that never work, while everything else ALWAYS works. I dont think the wireless network would just have trouble with some sites but not others. I've scoured Safari help and its not helpful. I need to use googlemaps and youtube, HELP!

Thanks for the rest of the help I recieved, I cleared up the rest of those issues.

One more thing....
I downloaded a bunch of .avi files, and lots of the filenames have [dd] in the title. The ones with the [dd] play video, but have no audio! But the others play both audio and video fine. What do I need to do to make the audio work? I have been opening all these files in quicktime.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Can you take steps to ensure its not a network problem and indeed a safari problem. Try to open those sites in a clean account. Then see if you have the same issue with other browsers or even another network. I just had a thought that someone could have blocked the sites at the router. I only bring this up cause I do this to my friends for fun.

You are probably missing some Codecs to play those AVI's. Most likely Divx or Xvid, go get em or try VLC Player.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 ghz 1.25 RAM 60 GB
You are probably missing some Codecs to play those AVI's. Most likely Divx or Xvid, go get em or try VLC Player.

I thought that VLC was supposed to play almost anything. I have a few VLC movies that I have from my other Macbook, and after I transferred the movies over to my new Macbook, I could only open less than half of them.

OP
K

krazykomrade

Can you take steps to ensure its not a network problem and indeed a safari problem. Try to open those sites in a clean account. Then see if you have the same issue with other browsers or even another network. I just had a thought that someone could have blocked the sites at the router. I only bring this up cause I do this to my friends for fun.

I tried downloading VLC, but Safari can't locate the server for that site!!!!!1

UPDATE: I installed Parallels and am running XP pro on it, and I use mozilla on that, and it brings up all of those web pages and doesnt have this problem at all, off the same exact wireless connection. I have to go into windows every time I want to watch a video on the net or use googmaps. I also installed Camino on OSX, and it has the exact same problems that Safari does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
Your internet connection is fine, just like mine is :) However like you when I attempt to go to the website you posted I get this error....

Not Found

The requested URL /%94 was not found on this server.

If you remove the /%94 from the address bar the page opens.

As you mention this seems to be a Safari issue.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Your internet connection is fine, just like mine is :) However like you when I attempt to go to the website you posted I get this error....

Not Found

The requested URL /%94 was not found on this server.

If you remove the /%94 from the address bar the page opens.

As you mention this seems to be a Safari issue.

I noticed the same thing in his url when I clicked on it the /%94 came up at the end and it could not be found.

OP
K

krazykomrade

I noticed the same thing in his url when I clicked on it the /%94 came up at the end and it could not be found.

Thats not the error message I get. get:

Safari can’t connect to the server.
Safari can’t open the page “http://maps.google.com/” because it could not connect to the server “maps.google.com”.

and

Safari can’t connect to the server.
Safari can’t open the page “http://www.youtube.com/” because it could not connect to the server “www.youtube.com”.

There is no /%94 thing. This only happens when I'm running OSX on my mac, when I run windows via parallels, it works fine. Why is this only happening to me and why can't anyone help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Settle down cowboy that attitude is only discouraging. If you haven't noticed a few have tried already without success albeit. Ever think that you problem is just obscure and we might not have come across this just yet. You could call Apple if we aren't good enough for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.6GHz i5 8GB RAM 1TB HDD OSX Yosemite
Ok... Thanks... I've got 512 and it is showing 159 free...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.