ibook 300mhz -- what is the max ram i can use?

F

frayedrope

i am aware that i can put a 512 in my machine but will my computer recodnise more than 288? apples web page says with the firm ware upgrade i can use 256 chips (which i am) but i would like to replace it with a 512.

thanks

-ljk

OP
S

Shme3000

I am not too sure but it depends on how many RAM slots you have. If you only have one then I cant see why 512 cant be used... Why did the website say it would not be a good idea, out of curiousity?

OP
F

frayedrope

info.apple didnt give a reason. im not sure if the information is out dated. the specs might have been written before 512 chips were on the market.

im just worried that my computer wont recodnise ram over 288 megs

i only have 1 ram slot on my ibook 300 clamshell

Shme3000 said:
I am not too sure but it depends on how many RAM slots you have. If you only have one then I cant see why 512 cant be used... Why did the website say it would not be a good idea, out of curiousity?

OP
C

calandryll

Just a quick question. I just bought the same iBook, did yours come with an OS already installed?? I've been having trouble getting an OS on mine, since Windows is the only place I have a burner it doesn't like it that much, so I'm just curious.

About the RAM just reading around and doing some searching there is someone who uses a Graphite iBook, with the 512MB of RAM and he says it works fine and the computer recognizes the entire amount.

OP
L

lzasitko

Graphite Clamshell

calandryll said:
Just a quick question. I just bought the same iBook, did yours come with an OS already installed?? I've been having trouble getting an OS on mine, since Windows is the only place I have a burner it doesn't like it that much, so I'm just curious.

About the RAM just reading around and doing some searching there is someone who uses a Graphite iBook, with the 512MB of RAM and he says it works fine and the computer recognizes the entire amount.

That's me!

I had read elsewhere that it had no problems with 512meg so I went and talked to the guys at Westworld Computers in Calgary and they said they had heard the same thing but never tried it. Told me if I brought it in they would install the ram and test it, which they did. They were only about $10 more than the cheapest price that I found anywhere so I was happy. As far as I know this is the same ram that is used in new iBooks. Azenram 512MB AZ A512D65 PC133 SODIMM. Comes up with 576meg on mine (Graphite SE came with 64meg on board)

I have had it in since November and so far not one problem, works great. I thought of trying a 1gig but the price of 1gig in the right size is still way up there.

I am running Jaguar without problems and like it so much that I may get rid of 9.2. I have Panther coming.

Larry

OP
F

frayedrope

now that i know that this is likely to work, i was curious, how many pins did the ram you bought have. futher, how fast was your graphite ibook, and did you notice a signifigant speed increse? if so how many megs of ram did you have before the upgrade?

-ljk

lzasitko said:
That's me!

I had read elsewhere that it had no problems with 512meg so I went and talked to the guys at Westworld Computers in Calgary and they said they had heard the same thing but never tried it. Told me if I brought it in they would install the ram and test it, which they did. They were only about $10 more than the cheapest price that I found anywhere so I was happy. As far as I know this is the same ram that is used in new iBooks. Azenram 512MB AZ A512D65 PC133 SODIMM. Comes up with 576meg on mine (Graphite SE came with 64meg on board)

I have had it in since November and so far not one problem, works great. I thought of trying a 1gig but the price of 1gig in the right size is still way up there.

I am running Jaguar without problems and like it so much that I may get rid of 9.2. I have Panther coming.

Larry

OP
L

lzasitko

ram

frayedrope said:
now that i know that this is likely to work, i was curious, how many pins did the ram you bought have. futher, how fast was your graphite ibook, and did you notice a signifigant speed increse? if so how many megs of ram did you have before the upgrade?

-ljk

The card has 64 pins I think..... have to find the 128meg that was in it and count :) In any case I had Jaguar running with the 128+64 so 192meg. I never did any testing before but it was noticable difference with the 512. I run iPulse and it tells you everything you would ever want to know such as how much ram each process is using etc. Needless to say I have more than enough ram for the programs. Panther is supposed to be faster than Jaguar so that would also be nice. I should have done xbench with the 128 and then the 512 but I didn't....

Larry

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.