iMac or G4 Powermac?

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am just wondering if it is worth the upgrade. My friend is selling his and I wanted everyone's opinion. The iMac in question is a G5 (iSight) 2.1Ghz released back in October 2005 with 1.5GB RAM. I currently have a a PowerMac G5 Dual 1.25 and I was looking for some benchmark comparisons because I do some intermediate work on FCP 4, but I wasn't able to be find a site that gave me a comparison. I am just wondering on opinions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i would have thought the imac is faster but the g4 is a lot more upgradeable because the side opens etc..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
benchkv4.jpg

is that what you want?

Reaction score
Great find, imacmatt09, I too would blindly take the iMac.

Sure, it's not as expandable, but frankly, the G4 is very old and god forbid will be unsupported sooner than one might expect... I have exactly that iMac released in Oct 2005 and I think it's an awesome machine and it has all that new macs have, excepting the processor. But with a G4, you'll be crwaling with the new apps and Leopard.

OP
D
Reaction score
The overall feel that I am getting is to go for the iMac, so I have gone ahead and purchased it from my friend. I'll probably receive it up in another few days. I'm sad to say goodbye (not sad to say goodbye to the noiseof my MDD, haha) but I'll miss Garbonzo (that was his name), lol. I put it on sale today on eBay.

One quick question. I found that benchmark comparison but I was wondering what the AltiVec Carbon comparison meant?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.