What should I do now :( OMG

Reaction score
I made a MISTAKE!!!

I reinstall OSX panther without notice that i forgot to reinstall the OS 9 classic & OSX 10.0 version first.... Now I am in OSX10.3 version and upgrade to OSX10.3.2 version then when i load in diablo game disc its prompt cant find classic to run this application and now my WHOLE system freeze!!! I force power off it and on it but its cant even log in to the OSX!!! My game disc is still inside...HELP WHAT TO DO NOW :( :(.......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
think youll have to format it over again?

OP
JaneChua
Reaction score
Thanks kgeier82 for your reply...

I know I have to reformat it....but .... the disc tray cant be open and my game disc is still inside.... mine is a imac flat panel babe....little ice creams...How am i going to slove this problem... :(

Some one pls teach me......

M

MacHeadCase

Restart holding down your mouse button: this should force open your optical drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
does the disc show up on the desktop? if it does single click on the icon to select it and hit apple-e

OP
JaneChua
Reaction score
Great!! Thanks Macheadcase!! The cd tray opened :)

Now I put in the OS9 install disc and press C. It go in the desktop but promt me that this disk cannot be read (I have to initialize it to continue, but then it will erase all the information in the disk)

So click cancel, and go to the utilitiles folder, select drive setup folder->next step, should I click to initialize the Mac hard disk?

And the volume should I choose Mac OS extend type or Mac OS standard?

Wait for your reply before I do any "stupid" again. :(

M

MacHeadCase

Glad you got that game CD out of there.

You have to make sure you have all the right install disks you need before you start installing so lay them out by the computer and proceed in good order here.

This is the iMac model you own (or one similar) right?

The stats say it came out of the factory with 10.1 and 9.2.2 pre-installed and I had the 800 MHz model which shipped with 10.2.x and 9.2.2 pre-installed. So you must install the right version here by starting with the OS X install first, then you install OS 9.x.

Put the right OS X disk (the version that came initially pre-installed with the iMac) in the CD tray instead of the OS 9 install disk, restart holding down the C key and install the operating system. Then build from there in successive OS X versions. OS 9 can be installed at any time after the OS X install is at the latest version you can install but you must first start the installation from the CDs that came with your iMac.

If you have followed the right steps in the correct sequence of installations, everything should go fine after that.

Good luck.

Edited to add:

If you have personal files that haven't been backed up on an external drive and that you need to keep, if the installer offers you the option of Archive and Install, use that method as this will keep your user data, along with the old system files, in a folder called Previous System folder or something similar. I am not remembering right now what the Mac OS X pre-Panther installer offers you as a choice when you need to re-install the OS so it could be that you don't have the Archive and Install option which means you will go through a reformatting which will erase the hard drive in its entirety and you will lose all your files.

OP
JaneChua
Reaction score
Thanks again. Yap :) that how my imac look! Cute babe

Before I start, I have the following disc which come with my imac.
1) imac - software restore disc 1 to disc6
2) imac - mac OS X install disc
3) imac - mac OS 9 install disc
4) imac application
5) iphoto
6) apple hardware test for diagnosing hardware problems

And i had also the panther OSX version 10.3 install disc 1 , 2 & 3
and lastly Mac OS X xcode tools

So, i should install only the OSX install disc first then follow by the OS 9 install disc? (ignore the software restore disc1 to 6?) After that then install the OSX 10.3 then from here download upgrade version to OSX10.3.9? Is that the correct steps to do? And everythings should be ok?

OP
JaneChua
Reaction score
I want to try install asap so i insert the OSX 10.0 and press C... after follow step from the installation instruction, when click continue at the agreedment before next instruction...it wont let me select the installation disk drive. Prompt the disk is in dim colour meant it only for ready only.....

Should I install the OS 9 disk then to OSX 10.0 first? coz when i put in the OSX9 disc it prompt as "the disk is unreadable by this computer, do you want to initialize the disk?"

Name: untitled
Format: Mac OS Standard 55.8Gb or select Mac OS Extended 55.8Gb click cancel or initialize

What should i do.....

M

MacHeadCase

*Snip*

So, i should install only the OSX install disc first then follow by the OS 9 install disc? (ignore the software restore disc1 to 6?)

After that then install the OSX 10.3 then from here download upgrade version to OSX10.3.9? Is that the correct steps to do? And everythings should be ok?

Yes that should be a-ok.

OP
JaneChua
Reaction score
BAD NEWS....I think my imac is dead :(

1) Insert OSX 10.0 install disk in, can't install its said this disk for read only....

2) Insert OSX 9 instal disk in, can't install its said this disk unreadable need to initialize...

3) CAN't DO ANYTHINGS NOW.....is dead my imac is dead.... > . < HELP~~~~~

M

MacHeadCase

I want to try install asap so i insert the OSX 10.0 and press C... after follow step from the installation instruction, when click continue at the agreedment before next instruction...it wont let me select the installation disk drive. Prompt the disk is in dim colour meant it only for ready only.....

Should I install the OS 9 disk then to OSX 10.0 first? coz when i put in the OSX9 disc it prompt as "the disk is unreadable by this computer, do you want to initialize the disk?"

Name: untitled
Format: Mac OS Standard 55.8Gb or select Mac OS Extended 55.8Gb click cancel or initialize

What should i do.....

The problem I think with installing Mac OS 9 first is that once you install Mac OS X, it'll delete the OS 9 installation. Mac OS X was made to accept Mac OS 9 on the same disk while the reverse isn't the case.

Try to see if you have Disk Utility on the same CD as the Mac OS X Install 1 CD. If you do, you could reformat the drive with Disk Utility first and once the hard drive has been erased, begin to install Mac OS X.

The only thing I can see that would prevent this sequence is that your hard drive is dying or has some major problems.

M

MacHeadCase

Ah you posted while I was writing my reply. Well then the hard drive might be dying then.

Try running Disk Utility (if on the same CD) like I just posted to erase the drive then go on to the installation.

OP
JaneChua
Reaction score
U mean OSX10.0 install disk or the OSX 10.3 install disk?

And the disk utility referring to? same folder with the install disc 1? coz as i had written earlier, my imac cant log in is when i had install the OSX 10.3 disc and then after i insert diablo 2 game disc which actually require classic os9 to run and it prompt cant find classic then after that my imac hang and while i restart and log in its don't do not able to log in to the desktop...it hang at the OSX box screen without further log in screen......

If such, i cant even log in to the OSX 10.3 desktop, so i don't think i can go to the disk utitlity...

btw, i have one cd come with my sets of osx 10.0 n osx9 disc. that is the APPLE HARDWARD TEST for Diagnosing hardware problem, don't know whelther is can help?

OP
JaneChua
Reaction score
MacHeadCase I got it!!! :)

I tried my luck for the last time inserting the OSX10.3 (panther) instead of the OSX10.1 installation disc and follow your instruction selected the disk utility select erase then follow by inserting the OSX10.1 and everything when fine follow by installing OSX9.2. :) all work out fine.

Thanks for your help to guide me.

OP
JaneChua
Reaction score
Forgot something...

Now i don't know whelther to install the OSX (Panther) and upgrade to latest version OSX10.3.9 (which what i had it before reformat) Reason that I reformat was my system performance was dam slow and lagging while playing Diablo 2 game disc which run under classic OS9...

Now i was wondering, should i don't install panther just remain as now with OSX10.1.2 and OSX9.2.2 in my imac and play the game while i startup system in OSX9? Coz i don't want the lagging to happen again...

M

MacHeadCase

Good stuff that it is working now! You done good! *Thumbsup*

Now that Panther is installed, you can log on the internet and download all the latest updates to take you back to 10.3.9 with the latest Security patches and all. Just go to the System Preferences ---> Software Update and click on Check now.

You're doing fine! :girl:

OP
JaneChua
Reaction score
Hi MacHeadCase~

No problem for my reinstallation. All done and everythings is up nicely and in good condition..

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.