Trouble with DVDxDVPro Filenames

T

Ttoillenoj

Hello everyone! I'm hoping that someone here might have some knowledge of the program DVDxDVPro. I am in the process of archiving hundreds of home movies by transfering the clips from DVDs to hard drives as Quicktime files. DVDxDVPro is working fine, except for the fact that it adds random characters to the end of a filename if it is too long.
Example:
If I save as-
Halloween 92, Enzo & Romina.mov
What appears in Finder is
Halloween 92, Enzo & R#8&.mov

So, no big deal, I just change the name back in Finder. Well, it apparently was a big deal! Every filename that I changed will no longer open in any application. Quicktime says:
Error opening the movie
The movie could not be opened
I've tried just shortening the name and keeping the .mov at the end, but no luck! Anyone have any thoughts on how to make these files open normally, or will I have to re-convert dozens of hours of material?

Thanks for reading!

Jonathan Elliott

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
have you tried running QuickTime first and then openning the movie file from with in the application? This should verify if the file is still good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.