Automator experts: Sensing which network I'm attached to

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8GB iPhone, MacBook Pro (15",2.33 C2D), MacBook (2.0 C2D), 4 iPods (20GB, Mini, Nano, Shuffle)
I need some help from the Automator experts out there. I'm not sure if this is a job for Automator or for Applescript. My MacBook Pro generally connects to only two wireless networks: home and work.

I'd like a process to run at startup that determines if I'm attached to work, and if so, disable Bluetooth (because I don't use any Bluetooth devices at work). When I boot up and the process sees I'm attached to my home network, I'd like Bluetooth to be enabled.

I guess this issue could be solved with user profiles, right? One user for home, and one for work. But so much of my stuff overlaps, that I'd prefer to just associate the network I'm attached as to whether certain things are enabled or not.

Thoughts out there?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
would it just make more sense to have a script mounted on the dock to turn it on? this way it only takes resources when you need it, and should only take cliking the dock once to activte.

nto a scripter here though, so i'm not sure how it would work - just putting the idea out there...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.