Organize Music Into Folders?

Reaction score
I searched on this here and I didn't find anything about this so I wanted to ask about this. I would like to find a program that does this like iTunes does, but I don't really like how iTunes does it as there is not much control over it. I would like a program more aimed at power users if there is a program like that. I need a program that I can use to sort my music into separate folders on my hard drives and reorder them how I like in my drives so they are more easy to deal with. I checked on SourceForge too. If anyone has any suggestions, aim them my way. Thanks everyone!

:)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
not sure about this...

i sort all my own music in my own folders in finder - i never even start itunes. works fine with audion though since all i have to do is either make playlists or open a new playlist and simply drag folders i want to listen to to it. audion's one weakness here is that it's tough to sort songs (not nearly as slick or easy as WMP9 or 10s draging interface).

songbird may do this, but i haven't played enough with it to know. maybe someone else here has that experience?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I see this a lot but I still just don't understand why people complain about the way iTunes does the organization. I used to have a huge thing about organizing my music when I was on a PC but its just so much easier to let iTunes do everything on its own. If you have everything tagged properly then there is no reason to even look into the iTunes Music folder on your computer. All browsing can easily be done in iTunes by any parameter that you want. My library is well over 10,0000 songs with several hours of listening every day so I think I could classify as a power user

Reaction score
Hi, i have a huge amount of music organised in folders (recently switched from PC). I want to give the iTunes organisation a go....with the filters etc it seems easy. What do i do to get iTunes to take all these songs into the iTunes Music Folder? Just drag & drop them all into iTunes, then delete the original folders & files in Finder? Let em know what you would do...cheers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.