• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mac vs Dell for 3d/Game Design

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Okay, so basically, I'm going to be attending IADT for their course in Video Game Design/Development.. This is my passion, I love video games, more than I've ever been passionate about playing bass guitar..

My question is, I'm going to need an uber-fast machine to do the 3d rendering and all that jazz to go along with it.

So.. I love Macs, and I love my TiBook, but my debate is, should I go with Windows or Mac OS X for 3D Design?

I don't have too many specifics on the course, other than it covers C++ Programming, Java, 3D Studio Max, etc.

I'm debating on getting a fully loaded Dell XPS m1710 laptop, C2D @ 2.0 ghz, 2gb ram, 512mb FX7960 GTX, 120gb hdd, WinXP MCE, and all the little bells and whistles to go with it.

My second choice, as I love Macs, is a 17" MacBook Pro C2D @ 2.33ghz, 2gb ram, X1600 256mb, 160gb hdd, etc, etc, etc...

They'll both be running in the same neighbourhood for cost (~3500-4000 CDN), cost is not a factor.

I'm having trouble deciding which one I want to sink the money into. Any thoughts/oppinions would be appreciated. I use WinXP and Mac OS X on a regular basis (Windows mainly for gaming, and because it is faster than either of my Macs).

Thanks!

Reaction score
For 3D rendering I wouldnt get any notebook. Mac Pro or high end PC are the best options IMO.

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I would go with a desktop system, however, the new job I'm starting in the new year requires me to travel a lot. So I want to be able to take it with me on the road and minimalize my personal belongings.

Basically, it's an OS X vs. Windows debate regarding 3D Design/Game Design/Photoshop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
This is one instance I'd suggest go for a high-end Windows desktop.

If you doing C++ game programming you'd be silly to go on the Mac route. Plus 3ds max is the industry leader for games and that's Windows only.

Go for a Dell XPS desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
osx 10.5 is rumored that it will be able to switch between osx and windows without restarting. If this is true macbook pro all the way.

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
What I just thought about, and didn't realise this until today.. What if I ran 3DsMax under WinXP via Bootcamp? Would there be an performance difference compared to a "true" windows machine? Or does XP just recognize the hardware within the Macbook Pro as typical PC hardware?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I would find out that the school/course requires, then get whatever that dictates.

Reaction score
What I just thought about, and didn't realise this until today.. What if I ran 3DsMax under WinXP via Bootcamp? Would there be an performance difference compared to a "true" windows machine? Or does XP just recognize the hardware within the Macbook Pro as typical PC hardware?

It would perform exactly like a PC of the same specs...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.