Airport to Wii?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
hey guys. Just bought my Wii yesterday, and just wondering if it's possible to connect the Wii to airport express to allow me to go online with the Wii.
Requirements on the apple store state I need a Wifi certified 802.11b. The Wii manual states I need 802.11 - is this the same thing, and will it connect?

The Wii LAN adaptor won't come out here for another couple of months, and the Nintendo USB Wifi adaptor is windows only, so I think this is the only other alternative considering I have wired broadband. This will be a little more expensive, but at least (assuming it works) will allow for more uses than just the Wii going online. Certainly, a wireless network at home would be very useful.

I'd just like to hear if anyone has got this to work, or if others are certain this will work.

I appreciate any help people could give on this.

Apple store here

Wii English manual PDF (large - 31mb) pages 52 and 56 of this PDF.

OP
dtownley1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
nobody? I'm hoping to get it tomorrow, so I want to be sure. I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to wifi stuff at the moment, so I just want to be sure that the Airport express can be used as a wireless router for the Nintendo Wii.

Can somebody help me out here?

OP
dtownley1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
guess this can be locked now. I got it and it's working fine.

D

Doubtful

Would you mind sharing how you got it to work? I've Googled info on doing this but nothing has seemed to do the trick for me so far. Got any tips on how you got it?

OP
dtownley1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
well, setting up Airport express was simple enough. I've got broadband, so all I needed to do was simply connect the ethernet cable to the airport, and turn the modem on. No additional setup was needed. I first tested the network on my macbook, and it worked perfectly first time.

Next I went into the Wii connection settings, and set it to autmomatically configure the connection. The Wii recognised the network and connected in a matter of seconds.

I'm able to access the Virtual Console shop channel, but not the weather or news channels yet - they're not available where I am yet.

I was pretty unsure whether it would work or not at first too, considering the Nintendo Wifi USB thing doesn't work for mac. But after reading another topic here where people were saying that there's no difference between mac and PC wireless routers. In the end I went for the Airport since I knew it would work for more than just the Wii - also for mac simplicity and reliability.

Do you have the Airport, or are you looking to get one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
The airport express is the best router ever. it is amazing lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.