Why is this happening?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" G4 Powerbook, 1.33/1g/80g
well, for the past few months I've had the exact same setup.. cable modem, linksys router, and my powerbook (1.33 17").

The past month i have had to occasionally (maybe sometimes once a week) reset my router to get an internet signal (unplugging it, letting it sit then plugging it back in).

Well today, I have lost my signal quite a few times (it seems like almost every hour now). I'm having to unplug my router, modem, let them sit, and then re-start my computer just to get a signal again.

You can see why this is a bit annoying to do every 1-2 hours.

Any help would be great.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
I have a question for you. Have you installed the latest security update?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
have you rearranged your furniture?

i've had this happen, though usually only after some major change - rearanging major furniture, replacing the cable modem. after something like this, i'd lose signal from time to time, having to reset the modem and router.
after a while the router seems to get used to it and it'll be rock solid.

also, are you sure your following the reset process correctly?
make sure to power off your router and modem (and anything connected wouldn't hurt either). power on the modem, make sure all the normal lights are lit and then maybe even wait another minute, and then power on the router. after another minute or so, power on any machines using the router that you want to try and see if they connect (and hold a connection).

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a question for you. Have you installed the latest security update?

no clue, how do I do this or how do I know if I have done it?

is it an AIRPORT update?

And the only thing I've done is bring the laptop over to the couch, but I never had this problem before..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
The security up date will be installed or can be found if you click on software update under the apple logo at the top of your screen.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
downloading them now.

Downloading AirPort V4.2 and Airport Update 2005-001 V1.0

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
Is your cable modem showing a cable signal during times when your internet is acting up? It might not be the wireless, could be the cable modem or the cable connector itself. Unscrew the coax cable from the modem, swab the copper inner wire with alcohol or an electronic solvent or similar then reconnect it to the modem. Most of the time when I have problems it traces back to my cable connection - either on the modem, the wall, or outside in the junction box where the cable comes in. Also unplug and reseat (replug) the flat plug wire that goes from your cable modem to your router a few times to ensure that it is getting good contact.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
or just connect with an ethernet cable and see if you lose connection then. if you connect consitantly then you can rule out the modem and the router's basic level of functionality.

T

the-feed.net

If you are using a router, try changing the Channel in your router. You have choices from 1 - 11 I believe. Try each channel to see which works best. 6 is the default in most routers.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, even after the updates I'm still having the problem. When I get home I'll try out these other tips.

Maybe it's new router time.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It could be the router going bad. Seen that many times.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
really, how funny.

Any routers you guys recommend?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.