USB Hub for iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", 1GB RAM
What type/brand of USB hub do you use on your iMac? I have a Belkin 7-port hub but it seems to cause issues with the computer not going to sleep. Ever since I unplugged it the computer is fine. I would like to find a different one because 4 usb ports doesn't cut it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
I bought a very inexpensive one at an apple store I believe it was $29.00 canadian. As well I have tried a port port nexxtech from Best Buy it also wrks ok.

Jem

Reaction score
Interesting, I have 2 hubs, a Belkin 4 port and a gawd-knows-what 7-port bought off eBay. They're both powered hubs.

When I first used the Belkin one I saw the same issue you're reporting but I found the cause of it... I have a 6-way power strip left over from PC days that turns off the other 5 sockets when it detects the computer is turned off. I had the power supply for the hub plugged in to the strip and so as soon as the iMac went to sleep, the power consumption went so low that the power strip turned off the other 5 sockets!

As a result the iMac must've received a signal from the hub and immediately woke up again. Have you tried running the hub in unpowered mode to see if it makes any difference?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", 1GB RAM
Jem,

I did a little research on the Belkin 7-port hub. Apparently the silver version is for sale through Apple's website (I have the black one). The user ratings were terrible on it, with many users complaining the hub stopped working after 6 months. Here is the link to the reviews:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=2E45780&nplm=TB857LL%2FA#rev

Next I searched for another 7-port hub from a different supplier. I found a Kensington DomeHub online at Circuit City. The reviews seemed favorable so I purchased it.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Kensington-7-Port-DomeHub-USB-2-0-33118/sem/rpsm/oid/100261/catOid/-13315/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

So far so good. The computer is working well and everything works off the hub.

Jem

Reaction score
Nice one, glad you got sorted out. My 4-port is cool as a penguin in an igloo so the overheating must just be a 7-port design fault.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.