need opinion about my app

O

odys

Hello,

I developed application and Id like to ask for comments
about it.
I have no access to Mac (and nobody here has ...)
so I need to look for kind person who can use it for a while,
tell me if it is simple to install and even get screenshot taken
under Mac windowing system.

The app is board for playing sudoku. It is located at:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sudoku-tk
and mentioned at MacForge.net:
http://www.macforge.net/projects.php?cat=268

Some minimal help for installing on Mac is provided but perhaps
it could be better.
I am not even sure which format (tar.gz or zip) is more suitable
for Mac users. Both are provided though.

Regards and thanks for reading,

Miroslaw

Reaction score
Here ya go...

Screenshot

Well... I have to say it took me awhile to even get the app to run. You have to download TclKit for Aqua and then you have to open it in X11 in order for it to work.

Most common mac users do not have X11 installed and they for sure do not have TclKit Aqua installed. Tcl/Tk has not been supported since OS 9 and the full install of TclKit aqua is 37MB along with downloading X11, that is a lot of work to just play a Sodoku game. It seems to show up fine though and works from what I can see. It looks funny in my screenshot because I am using a customized UI, other than that it would look normal in plain aqua. I am running it on a MacBook with the newest X11 and TclkitAqua

I am not sure if this is the info you wanted, but if you have any other questions just ask!

OP
O

odys

Most common mac users do not have X11 installed and they for sure do not have TclKit Aqua installed. Tcl/Tk has not been supported since OS 9 and the full install of TclKit aqua is 37MB along with downloading X11, that is a lot of work to just play a Sodoku game.

Paul,
Thanks a lot for help and clarification. I did not know X11 is optional under OS X.
Also, I suspected Tcl interpeter would be about 1MB (as TclKit under Windows). Therefore I cannot hope that Mac users will find the app useful... Too bad, since sudoku.tk tries to follow simple design
of early Mac apps.

It seems to show up fine though and works from what I can see. It looks funny in my screenshot because I am using a customized UI, other than that it would look normal in plain aqua. I am running it on a MacBook with the newest X11 and TclkitAqua
Thanks for screenshot but I am not satisfied with app's look.
On Linux (platform of primary development) and Win margins are smaller
(as seen on sourceforge). Definitely I would need to add some Mac specific changes to the app. This is strange since Tcl interpreter should do this for me.

Thanks again,
Miroslaw

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.