• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mac, PC and my Plasma TV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2 Gigs RAM and Macbook 2 Ghz CD 1 Gig RAM
I'm not really sure if anyone here would have any input on this question, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

I want to use my Macbook or my Dell PC to play HD content over my plasma. I have an LG 42" Plasma TV. The resolution on the TV is 1024x768, which is a 4:3 aspect ratio. I have read around and I know that the pixels on the TV are not square, which is supposed to make up for the difference, but I have found this is not true. I have connected my laptop and my PC to my TV using VGA and ran 1024x768 resolution to it. However the picture is indeed stretched and distorted. What can I do to fix this problem? I have tried custom resolutions but my TV will not accept them. I seem to be stuck.. anyone know what to do?

Reaction score
Are you sure the TV is 1024X768? If it is a High Def TV the normal res is 1280x720. Does your TV have a DVI or HDMI input. My 30 " CRT 1080i TV has HDMI and I plug my imac in and it automatically sends the correct res out 1920X1080i I use a DVI to HDMI converter.

This works really well for frontrow.

OP
rift0065
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no, the resolution of the TV is definately 1024x768. Plasma pixels are wider than LCD pixels, which is supposed to make up for the difference. However my picture is still distorted, while it looks great with OTA HD or other HD sources.

Reaction score
plasma pixels are not wider. all pixels are the same size, and the correct resolution is 1920x720. hence you get a 720p resolution.

OP
rift0065
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, the 720p resolution is 1280x720p. It is indeed true that plasma pixels are wider than they are tall, which makes 1024x768 a 16:9 resolution on a plasma TV. When given a 720p signal, the TV automatically scales it to the resolution it supports. Although about 20% of the horizontal resolution is lost, the picture is still displayed correctly, not distorted. However a PC or Mac connected via the VGA input does not scale correctly.. it displays a 1024x768 picture that looks distorted since it is designed to be displayed on a LCD or CRT monitor, not a Plasma.

Reaction score
the pixels are the same, or else the picture would be very distorted while watching hd programming. it wouldn't make any sense if they were wider, just thinkn about it. all widescreen tv's would have to have the same size pixels or else the picture would not look right. and DLP is the way to go for a hdtv

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.