Wireless issues

Reaction score
I can't figure out why my wireless signal keeps disconnecting. Any time I leave my computer for a few minutes, it disables. I never had this issue with my ibook. Is there a system pref. I'm missing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
what router? some have been known to disconnect randomly. im lucky, my signal only goes up and down, ha. i have a wrt54gl from linksys

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Have you tried changing the channel incase a phone or microwave is using the same channel?

Reaction score
I have an intel iMac 20" that does the same thing, and on some forum I read that Apple has acknowledged a problem on intel and macbook Airports that keeps disconnecting when using WPA or better security; although reducing to WEP has not fixed the problem either.

Here's the article:

Airport Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
My 17 inch keeps disconnecting. It was because of my cordless phones.

OP
F
Reaction score
How do I switch the channel? I do have a cordless phone and microwave in close proximity to my wireless modem. Why doesn't my old ibook or my husband's Dell switch off then?

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks Daddy Elmis! I read the article and while I didn't have any "WPA2"s in my network, when I switched from "preferred network" to "automatic" it seems to have done the trick. I left my computer for a couple of hours and for the first time, it is still connected to the internet!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.