How not to save space on your HD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
There's this nifty tool called Monolingual, which lets you remove unneeded languages and architectures, like, there's no need to have Urdu support on your drive, or support for the 68K or G3 CPUs, if your Mac has a Intel CPU...

...except, if you tell it to remove all but the Intel architecture, non of your pre-Intel apps will work anymore. Oops. :eek:neye:

Good thing I had a backup from yesterday on the external hard drive. Thanks Carbon Copy Cloner.

That's another thing I live about the Mac: not only is it much easier to create, keep and restore backups; even installing a system from scratch is done in under half an hour (if you have a fast connection) Software Update gets ALL the updates in one fell swoop, whereas Windows Update lets you restart your computer three times before you can even _get_ to the updates in first place.

And the Migration Assistant makes moving from one Mac to another totally easy, too. Unless you're moving from PPC to Intel. That requires one extra step. Which I already forgot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
For what it's worth, I prefer Delocalizer to take care of the language packs I don't need. :)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
how much room do you think you actually save by removing other languages?

i removed a number of non-system fonts (mostly other languages), but that was mainly to make office-like apps a bit snappier, not so much for space saving.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I ran Delocalizer on my MacBook after I got it and loaded up all my apps, I saved almost 2 GB.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
wow! i wasn't expecting that much at all.

i may have to do it.

all it does is remove the extra languages from apps and the os, right? it doesn't actually remove any applications?

OP
Kar98
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wow! i wasn't expecting that much at all.

i may have to do it.

all it does is remove the extra languages from apps and the os, right? it doesn't actually remove any applications?

Saved exactly 923 MB on mine. And it only removes applications if you're stupid enough to remove "superfluous" CPU architectures.

But screw it, I'll just run everything off the external 320 GB Firewire drive (7200rpm) instead of the itty-bitty 80 GB 5400rpm built into the mini. Not quite as dramatic a difference between it and the 4200rpm drive in the previous model, but I'll take the slight increase in speed with the huge increase in space :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Delocalizer will only remove the non-US English language support categories that you select.

It is not like the app that kar98 ran: Delocalizer does not have the option to remove applications-- only language support.

OP
Kar98
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After having restored my backup so the non-Intel programs worked again, I ran aforementioned Delocalizer which freed up 1631 MB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 ghz white
i just saved 3150 mb. thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.