Scanner Problem (Epson)

S

scoostraw

Please point me to a FAQ or prior thread if this has been asked a thousand times..

I borrowed a friend's Epson scanner a while back and used it with my Intel iMac. It worked fine. Now another friend has given me her Epson 1670 scanner (different model) and it will not work. I ran the install from the CD, and when I launch Epson Scan, I get "Epson Scan cannot be started. Please use the troubleshooting assistant.... "

What do I need to do here? Any help would be most appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
For what little help this maybe .There is an app on yout iMac called Image capture You could try launching that . I had a similar problem with an old HP scanner .HP wanted money for the drivers (I used my Laptop PC instead.....I hate HP (The XP drivers were free however not for MAC..made my blood boil still this is off topic sorry) Good luck

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107203

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 20"- 2.1.Processor, 1.5 G Ram
Scanner problems

I have to use Photoshop to get my scanner to work.
I then use Epson Twain 5 to make it scan.Email me at:
[email protected] and I can email you back that software to try.

OP
S

scoostraw

Update:

Since I had (stupidly) installed the old sfotware that was on the CD that had come with the scanner originally, I attempted an "uninstall" by dragging anything in the APPS folder with "Epson" in it to Trash. Then I downloaded the most recent drivers from Epson's website. Still no go.

Anyway long story short, I called Epson. I need to do another step to do a complete "uninstall", which Epson is emailing me. In the interim, I launched Image Capture and the scanner works fine.

So I made a few scans and then decided to make some edits. When I launched Photoshop Elements 4.0 however, it crashed with a "Quit Unexpectedly" error. It seemed to get hung up during the "Building Twain Menu Items" portion.

So I re-installed Photoshop Elements. No help.

I did something to my machine and I do not know what it was. The error begins with:

Date/Time: 2006-12-08 07:07:31.751 -0600
OS Version: 10.4.8 (Build 8L2127)
Report Version: 4

Command: Photoshop Elements 4.0
Path: /Applications/Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0/Photoshop Elements 4.0.app/Contents/MacOS/Photoshop Elements 4.0
Parent: WindowServer [58]
Rosetta: Yes

Version: 4.0 (20060216.m.125) (4.0)

PID: 241
Thread: Unknown

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x69627261

and then continues with a further dump....

Can anyone help ?????
scoostraw
View Public Profile
Send a private message to scoostraw
Find More Posts by scoostraw
Add scoostraw to Your Buddy List
Big Mac
Addicted to MacNN

Report Abuse

Old Today, 12:58 PM
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

OP
S

scoostraw

Hey it's fixed. I'll post here what happened in case this happens to someone else.

When I installed the Epson software, it used the Twain drivers. After that, OSX had Twain as a default. This confused Photoshop Elements and caused it to fail. When I called Adobe, they had me rename the Twain file - and presto - both the scanner and Photoshop are working.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I had the same issue with Photoshop and my epson scanner.

As soon as I installed the scanner, PS stopped working. I didn't notice this until quite some time later and spent absolutely ages looking for a solution.

I never put it together with the scanner, but when I deleted the twain file, it worked for me as well.

Reaction score
Wich Twain-resources?

I have the same €%&#€% problem. I tried to follow your good advices, but found that there is a lot of TWAIN-files. Wich ones? The Photoshop plugin TWAIN-files or the ones in Epson Scanner? Will Photoshop get the scanned images even if the plugins are deleted?

Peter

OP
S

scoostraw

Peter,

This was the file for me:

Applications / Adobe Photoshop Elements4.0 / Plug-Ins / Import/Export / Twain.plugin

I just renamed Twain.plugin to ~Twain.plugin (put a tilde in front of it). That's all it took.

-- Ken

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.