• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

CNET editor James Kim Found Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - White - 2.0GHz C2D - 2GB RAM - 120GB HD
Yes. We will miss his articles. Which coencidentally are somtimes Apple related.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Really sad. I'll certainly miss him on cnet.

Reaction score
My thoughts and prayers are with his family. This is really such a tragic story.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Yes. We will miss his articles. Which coencidentally are somtimes Apple related.

I really hope that isn't some kind of negative remark about him at this tragic moment.

When they reported his family found, I was hoping for the best. Remember James and his family in your prayers. I never bought a piece of audio equipment without checking his reviews.

OP
imacmatt09
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
I really hope that isn't some kind of negative remark about him at this tragic moment.

dont worry it wasnt i kinda know davis and he wouldnt say something like that

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
as sad as it is, and i'm heartbroken for those kids... i'm angry at the thought that he should go off like that. i live in minnesota and rule one in a situation like that is do not leave the car.

sorry if this derails the thread, i felt it really had to be said - doesn't appear to have been brought up in any articles i've read yet. i don't mean any disrespect, but the point should be made.

<awaits negative feedback flood>

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
i'm angry at the thought that he should go off like that. i live in minnesota and rule one in a situation like that is do not leave the car.

It has been brought up in some news articles, including CNET's I think. This is something I know myself, but if it were my wife and children, one being so young, trapped like that, I know I would have went for help as well.

OP
imacmatt09
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
It has been brought up in some news articles, including CNET's I think. This is something I know myself, but if it were my wife and children, one being so young, trapped like that, I know I would have went for help as well.

I think its what every man who loves his family would have done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
as sad as it is, and i'm heartbroken for those kids... i'm angry at the thought that he should go off like that. i live in minnesota and rule one in a situation like that is do not leave the car.

At the point he decided to go for help, they had been stranded for nearly a week. They had no way of knowing if people were still searching for them. He made the decision that he couldn't let his family die without trying to get help. Obviously, looking back on it from our perspective, that was the wrong decision. It's incredibly sad that it turned out this way, but I can't blame him for doing it.

My condolences go out to his friends and family. I can't imagine how hard this is for them. :(

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is so sad to hear about his death. My prayers go out to his family and friends on this very sad time in their life. He will be missed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - White - 2.0GHz C2D - 2GB RAM - 120GB HD
dont worry it wasnt i kinda know davis and he wouldnt say something like that

thanks matt. :D

and no. i dont see how that is negative at all. i was just stating that we are on an apple forums and he wrote reviews on cnet that happen to be apple related at some times. i would never say anything negative like that. he was a jewl of a writer.

Reaction score
How dare you people say that you would stay in the car.

When you're stuck in your car with your family for a week and they're on the verge of starving to death with no hope of rescue, let's see if you can stay.

You have no right to say such things. James Kim was a hero for his courages attempts to save his family. Keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
so, you're probably the one who left the negative feedback, eh?

"This is not the place for such comments"

Thanks!

Really, if not here and now, when?

Honestly, going off the main road in very bad weather with his baby, kid, and wife in the car was his first extremly poor choice. He wouldn't have needed those "heroics" if he hadn't overestimated his own and his vehicle's capabilities.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
This is not the place for bickering and arguing over such a tragedy. I am closing this thread. If anyone is so inclined, friends of the Kim family have posted a site that is accepting donations to aid the family in their time of mourning.

http://jamesandkati.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.