About to make the Switch!!! Should I go Str8 to the Apple Store/BestBuy/CircuitCity?

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

ive just about had it with my compaq presario laptop that ive had for almost 4 years now. i got it when i was a freshman in college and now i am a senior.

im ready to make the switch!

i hope someone can help me with my questions! :) cos i am looking to purchase asap

1.) first off whats the difference between ibook and the macbook? i went to the apple.com site and they only had macbooks?

im leaning toward the 13". with upgraded 2gb on the apple website...

2.) however i want to get the best deal possible? should i go ahead and buy it from the website or are there any deals at best buy or any other retailer that i should know about??
should i spend 250 bucks on the apple protection care plan?

3.) also lastly, do i have to spend the extra 50 bucks on the Apple USB modem connector thing?
bto_modemstep2.jpg

or can i still use my ugly old yellow ethernet cable that ive been using with my compaq laptop?

Thanks for ur help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
iBook is an older version of a Macbook - the MacBook has the new Intel CPU and iBooks had G4's or G3's. You'll be wanting a MacBook.

As to where to buy it... I think getting it from Apple is a little more romantic somehow, but if you want to upgrade the memory, don't buy from Apple, shop around.

The only thing to consider is Black or White. I suggest the DVD-R version with a 100gb or so HDD, whatever you choose.

OP
M
Reaction score
iBook is an older version of a Macbook - the MacBook has the new Intel CPU and iBooks had G4's or G3's. You'll be wanting a MacBook.

As to where to buy it... I think getting it from Apple is a little more romantic somehow, but if you want to upgrade the memory, don't buy from Apple, shop around.

The only thing to consider is Black or White. I suggest the DVD-R version with a 100gb or so HDD, whatever you choose.

thanks for ur reply.

so i gues there are no super deals going on at any retail stores as far as u know.

i heard that the macbook with the intel 2.0 ghz just recently came out and some people are receiving defective products because its the first batch or something?

have u heard anything about this?

also do u think its worth it to invest a couple hundred bucks in the warranty plans (either from bestbuy or apple, etc.) i will invest in such a plan if problems with the macbook are common....i hope there arent any problems tho

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83GHz
Retail stores all seem to have the same prices, unfortunately. The only place I've found a good deal is macmall.com -- I got my base model 1.83 CD for $999 from them...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
It appears that way up here in the snow belt :) all retail stores are the same price as the Apple store, so what determined where I bought my Imac was where the nearest one was.

Good luck with your purchase.

OP
M
Reaction score
It appears that way up here in the snow belt :) all retail stores are the same price as the Apple store, so what determined where I bought my Imac was where the nearest one was.

Good luck with your purchase.

thanks guys for all ur help.

hav any of u heard about the "defective" batch of macbooks? the 2.0 ghz intel macbooks just recently came out right??

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
2.) however i want to get the best deal possible? should i go ahead and buy it from the website or are there any deals at best buy or any other retailer that i should know about??
should i spend 250 bucks on the apple protection care plan?

3.) also lastly, do i have to spend the extra 50 bucks on the Apple USB modem connector thing?
bto_modemstep2.jpg

or can i still use my ugly old yellow ethernet cable that ive been using with my compaq laptop?

Thanks for ur help!!
You have up to almost a year to decide if you want to purchase AppleCare. You can purchase it later.

As for the USB modem, if you need to use dail up or to fax something then it comes in handy.

Reaction score
i got my macbook off amazon.com and it had a 100$ rebate on it, i ended up getting it for 950, then added 2x 1gb sticks of ram and it is faster than any other computer i have ever owned in my life

OP
M
Reaction score
i got my macbook off amazon.com and it had a 100$ rebate on it, i ended up getting it for 950, then added 2x 1gb sticks of ram and it is faster than any other computer i have ever owned in my life

what do u mean 2x 1gb sticks of ram?

couldnt u have jsut put in a 2gb instead of 2 separate 1gb sticks?

how much did u pay? and how exactly do u add it yourself?

i was thinking of just having apple do it for me....

also nobody has heard about the defective batch of 2.0ghz intel Macbooks?

Reaction score
what do u mean 2x 1gb sticks of ram?

couldnt u have jsut put in a 2gb instead of 2 separate 1gb sticks?

how much did u pay? and how exactly do u add it yourself?

i was thinking of just having apple do it for me....

also nobody has heard about the defective batch of 2.0ghz intel Macbooks?

well there are 2 memory slots in it so i added 1gb sticks in each, the macbook only supports 2 gb or ram.
i got both sticks of ram from compusa and paid 79.99 for one of them, and 89.99 for the other one. it is alot cheaper to upgrade the ram yourself, and apple charges you like 600$ for 2gb. it is really easy to do also, just remove the battery, get a small screw driver and take out the "L" bracket, then remove the old ram sticks and insert the new ones. reattach the bracket then put the battery back in and power it up.

OP
M
Reaction score
well there are 2 memory slots in it so i added 1gb sticks in each, the macbook only supports 2 gb or ram.
i got both sticks of ram from compusa and paid 79.99 for one of them, and 89.99 for the other one. it is alot cheaper to upgrade the ram yourself, and apple charges you like 600$ for 2gb. it is really easy to do also, just remove the battery, get a small screw driver and take out the "L" bracket, then remove the old ram sticks and insert the new ones. reattach the bracket then put the battery back in and power it up.

hi brian thanks for ur reply,

which model do u have?

im planning to buy the standard new 1gb macbook with the intel 2.0 ghz....

didnt yours already come with 1gb?

and again nobody has heard about a defective batch of the new macbooks?
:bone:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
and again nobody has heard about a defective batch of the new macbooks?
:bone:

2ghz MacBooks have been around a while now. I have not heard anything like this. There have been a few niggles for some people, but this is just because they are so popular, more people notice any issues.

BTW, you should install the RAM sticks in equal pairs, because you get better performance, especially with 3d graphics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
The apple store will upgrade your ram from 1 - 2 g for $175.00, or so it is listed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
once you upgrade the ram on a machine, kiss the return policy goodbye. even if apple does it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook, Black 5G 60gig IPOD
If you are a student or carry a military id then I would recommend the apple store. thanks to the military I was able to get 8% off my entire purchase (macbook, 3yr care, and dvi adapter).

Reaction score
humm, i didnt know changing ram voids the warranty, but I would buy the ram somewhere else and install it yourself!!! much cheaper.

I got the 1.83ghz 2gig ram 80gb and nothing but satisfaction

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Changing the RAM should not void warranty. If the RAM you install damages your system, then the warranty is voided.

Reaction score
I just got my macbook. I ordered it online from the apple store. I got 100 off for being a student on the laptop itself and the applecare was 183 (down from 250) also for being a student.

I upgraded teh ram (cost 175). Its ridiculous to say that it would void the warranty when they are making the computer for you in China! (yes that is where mine shipped from - took a week to arrive). I think 175 is a pretty good deal considering they are making the computer with it and not just installing it on an existing machine. For some reason this makes me feel better.

Ps. I am LOVING my macbook (the 2gb of ram - although i do not have anything to compare to - is lighting fast!).

OP
M
Reaction score
I just got my macbook. I ordered it online from the apple store. I got 100 off for being a student on the laptop itself and the applecare was 183 (down from 250) also for being a student.

I upgraded teh ram (cost 175). Its ridiculous to say that it would void the warranty when they are making the computer for you in China! (yes that is where mine shipped from - took a week to arrive). I think 175 is a pretty good deal considering they are making the computer with it and not just installing it on an existing machine. For some reason this makes me feel better.

Ps. I am LOVING my macbook (the 2gb of ram - although i do not have anything to compare to - is lighting fast!).

so how much did u pay total?

how come u didnt just order from apple online and had to go to the actual store to order it?

Reaction score
It appears that CompUSA (in Western MA) is running a 5% off sale on certain Macs this week (black MacBook and 2 MacBook Pros?).

Edited to add: I notice also that if you sign up for their credit card, you can get 6 months no interest. Certainly helps make my decision easier... this will be my first Mac :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.