how can i browse my local network?

Reaction score
Im in residence in college, and all the windows users can connect to the local residence network by going to "my network" Then going to network "people and places" it them lets them browse through people's folders on the network without inputting an ip address.......they can download shared files on the local residence network.

I am connected on the internet through the same network in residence.

How can i join and browse the local local residence network i am connected to? I want to be able to view the same folders they see without having to put in ip address's. Is there a network people and places browse function on the mac? I'm on 10.4.

OP
S
Reaction score
Note: I am already connected to the internet on the network. Airport is turned off. I just want to be able to browse folders of other users so i can download from the local shared residence network.

M

MatZeRO

Try going to "System Preferences" and then "Sharing" and under the "services" tab enable Windows Sharing. You should then be able to click "GO" in the finder and click "Network" and browse a Windows or Mac network and see shared files.

Cheers
Mat

Reaction score
Try going to "System Preferences" and then "Sharing" and under the "services" tab enable Windows Sharing. You should then be able to click "GO" in the finder and click "Network" and browse a Windows or Mac network and see shared files.

Cheers
Mat
I'm on 10.6.6, 'Windows Sharing' isn't one of the options in 'Sharing'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Air 16GB 1TB SSD
I'm on 10.6.6, 'Windows Sharing' isn't one of the options in 'Sharing'

Have you found a solution to this? Here is what my "Sharing" screen looks like

sharing.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Duh...
I found the GO Menu. IT is at the TOP of the screen.
What I noob I am

I have gotten my WIndows computers to browse my Mac, but I cannot see the Windows computer :( My Windows computers can see each other and share files. I believe I have the sharing set up correctly on the Windows computer.
???

THanks
Monty

Reaction score
I'm not sure the Mac is meant to browse the windows workgroup like windows computers do. I setup Airport with the advanced button and set my wireless router up as a WINS server, and entered my windows workgroup name on that page.

I can now connect to servers

smb://computer1 or smb://computer2

but i can't browse like I can with windows

all seems a bit clunky really ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure the Mac is meant to browse the windows workgroup like windows computers do. I setup Airport with the advanced button and set my wireless router up as a WINS server, and entered my windows workgroup name on that page.

I can now connect to servers

smb://computer1 or smb://computer2

but i can't browse like I can with windows

all seems a bit clunky really ??

I've finally got it too. But, I have to disagree. Using the finder I can browse without an issue. The Finder treats the network drive as if it was local. I like that I can save "Favorite Servers"

s5.png

Reaction score
I can type in smb:// and add a pc name, but in 'finder' re: my home network I don't get presented with a visual browser where I can select the pc's. I have to know the WINS /netBIOS names of the individual PC's and type them in. I'd been hoping the wireless belkin router would offer the names to the mac for me to select.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can type in smb:// and add a pc name, but in 'finder' re: my home network I don't get presented with a visual browser where I can select the pc's. I have to know the WINS /netBIOS names of the individual PC's and type them in. I'd been hoping the wireless belkin router would offer the names to the mac for me to select.

Right. Windows is much better in this aspect. Click on the network icon and app of the computer on the network are displayed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
Look in the app store for Pingo. It will do what you want and its free. A little app that resides up top and shows devices by network service. You can also look for BonjouBrowser (free) which also will do the same

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.