Hard Drive Space

Reaction score
Hi – I have just got my new MacBook Pro (replacement on my insurance from a PowerBook)

I’m slightly concerned that of its 120gb hard drive there is only 81gb free before I’ve installed anything or added any files – does the OS really take up this much space?

It seems very excessive!

If so what other than languages can I delete to free up more space?

Cheers
Joe

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
No, the operating system does not take all of the space. There are some applications that comes tutorials and demo stuff, like GarageBand. Which something like 2GB of stuff in the shared folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Wow, and people complain about Windows "bloatware" and how much space Vista is going to take!! (although there is more on Windows machines, mostly from second party sellers like Dell or Gateway though)

As soon as I got mine I took some time to delete all the demo apps and other junk I didn't need; pretty much what I did with my last PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 4GB RAM
Mine came with about 95GB free out of the box =|

(with a 120gb drive too)

OP
J
Reaction score
seems odd everyone i talk to has a different figure - i'll delete all the crap and just live with it - its great other than that :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I just reinstalled my OS last night and with a very base system, it took up around 3.7Gb.

If you haven't loaded all of your music and stuff on the computer yet, simply take your install disk and insert it into the MBP. Choose "Install Mac OS X" and Restart.

Carefully click through the Install menu until you see a button called "Customize" on the lower left of the window. Click it and take out unnecessary crap and languages, then install. You'll save a good 10Gb of HDD space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
seems extremely odd to me that apple is not consistent with a standard image they place on all new hd in mb/mbp.

weird even no? i wonder if there is some guy in a shack just installing osx for apple all day long on their new orders :)

haha

Reaction score
FWIW, my MBP C2D 15 (standard 120G HD) came with about 95G free.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I really would not say that iLife is useless Demo stuff. To me the Included software, especially iLife suite of applications makes OSX and the Mac what it is. iWork is far from junk either. Only thing I would zap is any trial of Microsoft Office as to me since it only works for 30 days or so is worthless. I don't need a trial to know that I like Office.

Windows does not come with anything resembling iLife applications.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Wow, and people complain about Windows "bloatware"

actually, while windows is pretty large, the real bloat comes not from microsoft, but from HP, dell, and most of the other manufacturers that build PCs.

(not a comment directly at fleurya - he just had the neatest quote!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
average xp install is about 2.5gb.

osx i think is about 4gb

well worth the 1.5gb to me though :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.