closed network shows on widget?

Reaction score
because of all the networks in my neighborhood, I chose to run mine closed (using Airport Extreme as base and an Airport Express as WDS). Both units have selected "closed network" and are WPA2 protected. I understood that "closed" meant the SSID would not be broadcast. However, the network name and channel are shown when running any of several wifi widgets.

Anyone have an idea of what gives?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Closed means exactly what it says...closed
Disabling the broadcast SSID has nothing to do with the encryption

OP
Daddy Elmis
Reaction score
I understand not broadcasting the SSID is not encrypting the signal. According to the Airport help file, checking "create closed network" on the Airport Extreme/Express should cause the unit to NOT to broadcast the SSID. This, in addition to encryption, marginally improves security (IMO). However, with the "create closed network" box checked, a WiFi widget still sees the network and correctly identify the SSID.

Was looking to see if anyone knew why this was. I thought it might be because I was running the widget from a network computer (and therefore it somehow knows the SSID because I'm "inside" the network) or whether there was something wrong with the Airport and it was still broadcasting the SSID.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.