• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

POS MacBook

Reaction score
:radioacti
So I'm convinced my Black MacBook which is less than 6 mo. old is a lemon. Here is why: 1st Repair- Replaced the heatsink because it kept shutting off because it thought it was over heating. 2nd Repair- FrontRow wasn't working and the GeniusBar determined that it was actually my infrared port. So they replaced the whole bottom casing. FrontRow still didnt work. Then I pick it up like two days ago from the 2nd repair and I am sitting with a Creative doing an Archive and Install of Mac OSX and the LCD basically crapped out. It was all garbled and there were lines everywhere. We restarted several times to no avail. Then the guy who did the case repair who is the main tech guy at the store I go to hooked it up to an external monitor and it was fine. So he says that I will need to check it in to replace the LCD. So I go back to the store today to talk to the store manager about getting a replacement unit. He was basically a prick and said there was nothing he could do now and for me to just check it back in for repair. So 3rd Repair- They are replacing the entire LCD as well as all the cables associated with it and replacing the heatsink and some other parts again. Is there anything I can do to get a replacement unit. I am convinced that the thing will crap out again at which point I'm sure they will give me a new one I would just rather not go through the hassle. Plus it's a major inconvenience to not have your computer. I have the extended AppleCare as well as being a ProCare member. I spoke to the 800-MYAPPLE and they basically said they don't think it warrants a replacement unit yet!! ***!! PLEASE HELP with any suggestions or comments!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I just noticed today that my LCD flickers when I tap the screen. I bet it blows on me in the next few days.

All I can say is bad luck, but it's often the case when something goes wrong there are other problems too. What you describe is exactly why I'd never buy something like Applecare. It doesn't help at all and you still get treated like a moron.

You should go in and stand your ground for a replacement. I'm going to be interested to see what happens to me when I take my machine in for the screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
I just noticed today that my LCD flickers when I tap the screen. I bet it blows on me in the next few days.

All I can say is bad luck, but it's often the case when something goes wrong there are other problems too. What you describe is exactly why I'd never buy something like Applecare. It doesn't help at all and you still get treated like a moron.

You should go in and stand your ground for a replacement. I'm going to be interested to see what happens to me when I take my machine in for the screen.

engadget had an artical on this a few days ago maybe you should check it out?

http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/01/screen-flickering-problem-plagues-macbooks/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the link! It says it could be fixed by a firmware update. Actually it is true, I only notice this when the CPU is under very light load and only since the last update... odd... not a hardware issue then perhaps, which is good.

Your welcome.

Reaction score
dang, at the store I bought my macbook, the first time I brought it in because I had the creaking hinge, they immediately gave me a brand new one, no questions asked. I didn't have to wait for it to be sent in and repaired, thank god. That store is full of pricks, all I can say...

OP
B
Reaction score
Yeh that video is not what was happening to mine. My whole LCD actually became distorted with all kinds of lines on it and making it almost impossible to see. As far as standing my ground for a replacement unit. I spoke to the store manager who was useless. Then I called AppleCare at the suggestion of the store manager because they could override his decision. At AppleCare I spoke to a Tech Support Supervisor who wouldn't authorize me to have a replacement so then I spoke to their Supervisor in Customer Relations. The Customer Relations don't even have a phone number and I had to wait on hold for like 20 min. Finally I speak to some lady in California who said the machine is not ready yet for a replacement!!! She suggested I check it in to have the LCD replaced and gave me her direct phone number and extension to call her if there is a further problem (at which point I assume I will receive a replacement unit). The only benefit to having the extended AppleCare is that you dont have to pay for repairs. Other than that its worthless.

OP
B
Reaction score
Yeh I have other friends with similar stories to yours. One problem they bring it in bam they got a new computer. Not me. Where do you live? What store do you go to?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeh that video is not what was happening to mine. My whole LCD actually became distorted with all kinds of lines on it and making it almost impossible to see. As far as standing my ground for a replacement unit. I spoke to the store manager who was useless. Then I called AppleCare at the suggestion of the store manager because they could override his decision. At AppleCare I spoke to a Tech Support Supervisor who wouldn't authorize me to have a replacement so then I spoke to their Supervisor in Customer Relations. The Customer Relations don't even have a phone number and I had to wait on hold for like 20 min. Finally I speak to some lady in California who said the machine is not ready yet for a replacement!!! She suggested I check it in to have the LCD replaced and gave me her direct phone number and extension to call her if there is a further problem (at which point I assume I will receive a replacement unit). The only benefit to having the extended AppleCare is that you dont have to pay for repairs. Other than that its worthless.

I feel you buddy. Back when i was a windows user i had an acer laptop and it was horrible, just like their support. Anyways the screen died like 4 times and the 4th time i sent it in i asked for a replacement and i didnt get one instead they kept it for a month no joke and sent it back and it wouldnt turn on. So i took it to Circuit City were i got it and spoke to the manger who was very understanding i may add and she hooked me up with a new toshiba and i havent had any problems with it other the normal windows problems...
Then i bought my imac all good for it now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I'm really surprised the store manager won't replace it. The thing is obviously a lemon and their going to waste a lot of time and money trying to fix it. It would be much easier just to send it back to Mac as a dud unit.

That's one reason I liek to buy electronics from Best Buy. You can buy a warranty for 3 years, and if you turn in a product with problems 3 times, they will replace it for free, but the kicker is they replace at the amount you paid which means if you bought an old Ipod 3 years ago and it's a lemon, you can get a new gen Ipod at the amount you paid for the old one!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
Actually the lemon law is if they fix the same thing 3 times. if its the LCD now , then the heat sink that doesnt count as 2 times toward the replacement. Thats the way it is here in Florida anyways.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.