Just got a Mac and can't connect to wireless network

Reaction score
Check out this discussion at the Apple boards. This has a lot of people experiencing various errors trying to connect. Some claim the error is a firmware issue, others say they've been told it's a software issue. Some claim to get it working again by reinstalling OS X and not updating the Airport or OS X to the latest incarnations. Read through it and maybe you can get a few things to try.

Reaction score
I don't know if this will help anyone, but switching from "manual" to "DHCP" (I have DSL) and entering the DNS numbers from my provider worked for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15.4 core2duo 2.16 2gb
i;ve updated my smc router to the latest firmware and still nothing, the mac just wont connect to that router :( i wish there was some way to connect to that thing wirlessley even my psp connects normaly to the router. any ideas anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
never mind my last post. sorry for the double post, found out that i do have a back lit keyboard :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
I have had no problems using the linksys wireless N router.

I have the same as above with Billion modem......ran my home network through it with PC's and when I got MBP it just connected and went perfectly out of the box.

Reaction score
After reading about a number of people having problems (mostly right after the last OS X or Airport updates), I made sure I didn't update those when I set up my new MBP today. Don't have any problems so far, so I'm sure I won't update until I can be confident I won't run into problems. I travel regularly, so I have to be able to connect wirelessly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
Hi All ,
I just received my macbook today (2Ghz/1G). I used to have a mac back in the days of the Performa series, but have since been in PC land. I am have a great deal of PC and networking experience, and even had the Apple support try to help me and they said if I was not using a Apple wireless router (airport) they could not help. It appears that all my settings are correct, but I just get the very unuseful error "There was an error joining the network "JMN"" This is after I enter my 128 Bit Hex WEP key. To add insult to injury even if I disable the security on my router I still get the same error. JMN is my wireless network, and my IBM Thinkpad and other systems connect just fine.

My router is an SMC (SMC2804WBRP-G)

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
Jess
Congrads on your purchase Jess. This may seem like a silly suggestion, but it's a simple mistake I made when I was trying to connect via airport the first time on my Mini...

Make sure you're selecting "WEP 40 128-bit Hex" or "WEP 40 128-bit ASCII" (whatever's appropriate) when you enter the WEP key...as opposed to the drop-down menu just being selected to "WEP Password".

-Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
does anyone know if there will be a firmware update to fix this issue? its really frustrating not being able to connect to my wifi. i love my mbp and all, but this is a huge downside

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i-mac dual-core 2.16Ghz 24inch, Macbook 2.4Ghz alu, 27" iMac Core 2 Duo 3.06Ghz
I changed my SMC2804WBR EU router for a NETGEAR WGR614 because I was having all sorts of problems with my wired and wireless connections with both mac and windos computers. Now everything is running fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i don't get it, why is this happening? why wont it work? i think im just gonna go ahead and get me a new wifi router any recommendations?

Reaction score
Congrads on your purchase Jess. This may seem like a silly suggestion, but it's a simple mistake I made when I was trying to connect via airport the first time on my Mini...

Make sure you're selecting "WEP 40 128-bit Hex" or "WEP 40 128-bit ASCII" (whatever's appropriate) when you enter the WEP key...as opposed to the drop-down menu just being selected to "WEP Password".

-Nick

This is SOOOO important and overlooked! PC and Mac users alike experience these issues and it usually what Nick described. Are you sure its "hex"?

Also, did you cycle the power of your router after you turned the security off? If your thinkpad is still connecting and you didn't make a change to the network properties of that computer... you didn't actually turn the WEP encryption off. In other words, you have to cycle the power for the changes to take effect anytime you make a change.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i've cycled the power after turning the encryption off. still nothing. the wifi works fine with my psp 2 windows laptops. its just not working here,
actually its giving me problems in one of my windows pc! cuz its has wifi-b and doesnt realy support WPA, its working with all the others except for the mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
any progress in here? did anyone find a solution to this problem? a customized router firmware or something? or a specific way to setup the router to make the mbp work with the SMC router?
regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.