what games are working on your macbook

T

tcmed85

I searched the forums for this topic sd didn't find anything that really helped.

What games are you running on your Macbook and please post your specs and how well the game works.

Reaction score
would halo work on my macbook and run good? i really like that game and would be interested in playing some online with it. i have a 1.83 core duo with 2 gb of ram in my macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
Halo works, I played it on my MacBook no problem, have to mess with the video settings abit but it works. BF2 wont work though in windows :(

Reaction score
how about Call of Duty 2 on the macbook? should i have any problems with any of these other than a little bit slow video?
thanks for the input

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM, 160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm, SuperDrive 6x
I get mine tomorrow, and I was wondering if I would be able to play World of Warcraft, Battlefield 2, and Company of Heroes on bootcamp?

OP
T

tcmed85

I want to play some sim games. Sim city games like earth and others but I don't know if many games will work on the mactel. Universal bi and all please list the games you have already tested.

Word.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 1.83GHz C2D, 2Gig ram
As I uderstand it the Uni-Bi version of CoD2 will run at minimal video settings. Civ IV uni-bi runs too.

I'd avoid any newer games running under parallells or Rosetta unless you run a macbook pro with non-integrated gfx.

Reaction score
alright thanks for the information, i would really like to try some call of duty2 and halo on my macbook in my spare time. i was a big fan of halo on xbox live, but i think the macbook could be alot more fun to play on since i can take it anywhere.

OP
T

tcmed85

What about older games? Will they work with the Intel if they were designed for the old Mac processor? I am not a hardcore gamer, I just want to pass time playing fun games.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 1.83GHz C2D, 2Gig ram
As a rule of thumb, anything running under Rosetta will need basically twice the horsepower as what is written on the box.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
sim city 4: rush hour
runs. but runs very very slow, even on a small map. keeps the fan running at full tilt.

tropico 2
runs fine but maxes out the fan constantly. occasional crashes after a couple hours of play.

thinking about trying age of empires 2 or age of mythology.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
perhaps this should be moved to the macbook forum and stickied?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
World of Warcraft comes with versions for Windows and OS X, so you don't need to use bootcamp to run it.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i would imagine wow would be entirely too taxing for a macbook.

just tried civilization IV.

actually told me as it started that the machine did not meet minimum requirements.

i started it anyway, mae sure all the graphics options were turned down (he game did this for the most part on its own. also turned off the movies, music, and voices. started a "tiny" world, went through the startup options and when i finally was dropped into the world map i heard a buzzing coming from the right speaker.
cmd+tabbing out of the game stopped the buzzing.
going back into the game restarted he buzzing as well. so i went into the sound options and turned everything off except for interface sounds - as i clicked off the ambient sounds the buzzing stopped.

i just did a few turns and while i miss the little animations from when i played this on my old 17" HP laptop, it seemed playable. my cpu also seemed to stay around 150-155, though the fan ran constantly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM, 160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm, SuperDrive 6x
i would imagine wow would be entirely too taxing for a macbook.

The requirements for WoW are not very high. I run it on my PC with less RAM, graphics card, but a little more GHz...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33GHz Intel C2D 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM 120GB SATA 2GB SDRAM
I just installed and have been running Halo: Combat Evolution on my MacBook Pro C2D. It's been running the game with settings maxed without a hiccup. Runs flawlessly. I'm going to turn on anti-aliasing and see what happens.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
I just installed and have been running Halo: Combat Evolution on my MacBook Pro C2D. It's been running the game with settings maxed without a hiccup. Runs flawlessly. I'm going to turn on anti-aliasing and see what happens.

macbook / macbook pro are like apples and oranges though. you have a dedicated video adapter.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
aha!

i might have stumbled across a real find.

simcity 2000 for free from maxis through softpedia

it's only an 8Mb download (sit file). i've yet to give it a shot, but i'll be trying it out sometime tomorrow. obviously this won't be quite the masterpiece sc4 is, but i remember having fun with 2k. and i'm sure with it's minimal system requirements it'll run like a champ. just the thing for when i've got a simming jones going - something the ps2 and DS can't satisfy.

now i wonder if i can find a version of the first rollercoaster tycoon that'll run on a macbook...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.