Garage Band Question

Reaction score
Ok, im so lost/confused.
I imported a song from my buddys band, and were trying to play it fast so itll have that sound like alvin and the chip munks. How do i make it to play really fast? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
Just take up the tempo. If you look in the middle part of the screen, there is the display that either shows you either what measure/beat/half beat you are on or how long it has been playing. Look just to the right of that and you will see a little thing that says "Tempo" and probably has a 120 right over it. Just click the 120 and take it up to 250 or however many BPM you want it to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
did you have the track selected?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, 1.5ghz, 512Mb RAM, 60gig HDD, DVD/CDR, OS 10.4.8
If it's audio as opposed to core instruments, then you'll need a time/pitch conversion plug-in (ala 'Time/Pitch Machine' in Logic). Adjusting the tempo of a GB file will only alter the playback speed of 'MIDI' instrumentation.

Do need to ask though; why the knackers are you wanting to get THAT sound?!

OP
T
Reaction score
Yeah, the track was selected.
So where can I get that plug-in?
We want it because were writing a remix, and its our first time working with garage band and were just using it to learn right now...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As far as I'm aware, you can't. T'only way you'll get something like that working is in Logic Pro (and quite probably Express).

Unless anyone know of a AU-to-GarageBand bridge?

Sorry, chap!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
RIGHT! I may have been lying (slightly) to you before. You CAN change the overall tempo of the song (recorded audio included) in GarageBand. Check it...

Using the 'Tempo' button in the transport, click&hold and you'll get a funky little slider pop-up. Slide your cursor up and down this to raise (or lower) the tempo as required.

This should speed up the WHOLE track. If you want to speed up JUST ONE track, then you need a higher-flight audio editing program.

Ta.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alrighty then! Further to my previous posts, I have been doing a bit of digging.

1) GarageBand has a plugin called 'Vocal Transformer' - it is a very basic pitchshifter, that raises tone and/or pitch (but 'digitises' the signal quite badly!) If you want something to sound very 'computer' then you've got it!

2) You CAN access non-Logic AU plugins in GarageBand. In one of the two plugin slots on a Real Instrument track, if you go to select a plugin (as above) and scroll right down, you will find any AU plugins that are resident on your system. I have a few Cycling 74 ones & also NI Reaktor FX cropping up in there; they all seem to work just fine!

Sweet Jebus. Considering how basic a program GarageBand is, it's got a handfull of REALLY nice 'Pro' features that just need a little rooting out. The audio 'edit' window is pretty sexy, too.

If I find anything else that might help, I'll let you know!

Reaction score
I was looking for the same type of feature. Believe it or not, but Quicktime can speed up tracks. Just open up the audio file in Quicktime, and then go to Window>Show A/V Controls. On the bottom right hand of the screen, you'll see Playback Speed. In the same window, there's also pitch shift. So you can play around with the tempo and pitch and make it sound like the chipmunks. I'm not sure if this is available in QT Pro or regular. I have QT Pro.

Also, I'm not sure if it will actually save the file at that tempo/pitch change, but you could play it back with the edits in QT and record with the built in mic in GarageBand. Then save it in iTunes.

I hope that helped

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, 1.5Ghz, 768Mb RAM, 80gb hard drive-imac G4-ipod touch 32Gb 3g-Macbook 2.4ghz, 2BG RAM
Try using Audacity. It's free and has pitch/tempo plugins.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.