Making "user" folders open to all accounts

Reaction score
Is there a way to make a specific user folder (for example MY music folder) open to all accounts (particulairly admin accounts)? I just set up a special account specifically for my video work and I want to be able to access the music folder in my personal account...

how do I go about doing so?

thanks!

Reaction score
The easiest way to do this would probably be by typing in Terminal.app, located in /Applications/Utilities,

Code:
sudo chmod 777 /Users/USERNAME/*

This should make your user account available to every other user on the machine. You'll probably have to repeat this though every time you repair permissions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
For this type of work I would have partitioned the drive, or use an external. So that the data isn't in any one user account. Which is what I do with our iTunes files, so that everyone has access to it. And it's not taking up space on the main drive, and crowding the VM.

And I would consider messing with permissions on that scale to be risky business.

Reaction score
I agree with the Ice Cream Man about messing with permissions. You are fighting powerful forces in sharing out a User's Home folders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
I have set folders for global use, but if you're not completely sure about unix permissions it may be as easy to just copy them of the Public folder in your home directory. It's not particularly dangerous if you are limiting it to a specific folder. For instance, I have a directory called /Users/Shared for a generic dumping ground of stuff.

However, for listening to music (and depending what you feel about RAM purposes), you could use the iTunes library sharing facility - just keep both users logged in with iTunes sharing out your library to local users and visible in iTunes in your other account.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.