DirectX 10

Reaction score
I'm planning on buying a Macbook Pro (15 inch, 2.33ghz) and am planning on frequently using Windows on it. I am very concerned about the longevity of the notebook and how happy I'll be with it in a year or two from now. I want to have it for a long time and be pleased with it.

I have confidence in the MBP running Vista, however I am a little confused on the DirectX 10 part. Do you need to have a special GPU in order to use DX10? Or is it just a driver issue that can be resolved?

From what I understand the MBP's card should be able to run DX10 with no problems provided that the drivers are released. But I just wanted to get you guys' opinion.

I will be using the notebook for school related things but mostly personal things such as movies and gaming and want to make sure I can play the newer games that will be coming out (Hellgate:London in particular). I know some of these games will require DX10 so I need to make sure the current MBP's will be able to run it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
DirectX is basically a horribly written set of "quick fix" graphic instructions to make game development easier. It should work just fine on a Macbook Pro running Windows...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
DX10 is a prickly topic... DirectX10 can only be installed as part of windows Vista for a start. To take full advantage of the new shaders (SM 4.0) and the faster rendering, you will need a card designed for DX10. However, any current DX9 card will also be able to perform DX10 rendering, only a lot slower. The game you mention will almost certainly run on your MacBook.

Just be aware that actually no current notebook has a fully DX10 compliant GPU right now, even those claiming to be Vista ready.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, guys.

You know what, I don't think it's really that big a deal to try and wait for a DX10 card. I mean as it is most current specs are more than enough, and new technology will always arise, so I might as well grab the Macbook Pro that I want now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.