Dead Pixel

D

Danimac

I have just got an Imac 20"; there is a dead pixel just off centre of the screen - any way to recrify or is this a warranty return point?

Thanks

Daniel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Danimac said:
I have just got an Imac 20"; there is a dead pixel just off centre of the screen - any way to recrify or is this a warranty return point?

Thanks

Daniel

A single pixel is well within the limits of "acceptable" from Apple's warranty perspective, so you may have trouble getting the screen replaced. It's definitely worth a try though.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Just try gently massage the dead pixel. That may resolve the problem.

OP
M

Mainyehc

My almost-new 17'' iMac (bought it in Dec.'03) has a similar problem, except it is a green pixel (it's just the green component of the pixel which is turned off when I power up the iMac, and keeps getting brighter as hours pass by - Fortunately, it's located near the left border of the screen, precisely in the center)... I tried massaging it, and nothing.
And as Padawan said, it is within those limits. You'd have to have SIX dead pixels to get a screen replacement.
http://www4.tomshardware.com/display/20030319/index.html
Read this if you want to learn more about dead pixels...
Good luck!

OP
S

Shakermaker

Everyone here hit the nail on the head. You are stuck with it.

The only thing you can try is to return it to where you bought it from and swap it with another one. Unless you bought it at the Apple Store...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.