newby review

K

Kathie

I have had my iMac one week. I have to say, I am pleasantly pleased. It's only natural to compare it to what I was using previously, for me that would be a Windows PC (Gateway Performance, 800MgHz and 190-some of RAM) using Netscape browser and mail. I 'installed' my printer tonight. It was the first peripheral I installed. I put the word 'install' in quote because I didn't have to click anything to get the printer to work. I literally plugged it into the back of the iMac, turned the computer on and it was ready to print. VERY cool!!
I'm getting used to the Safari browser but feel I am doing a lot of 'driving' (moving the mouse around) to get where I want to go. I miss the right-click that brings up the menu with the option to go back one page without moving the mouse. The text in the windows is ridiculously small ( or maybe I am ridiculously old ;) ). I don't want to change my screen size, tried it and don't like how it makes things look. The browser has wonderful features and is very easy to learn. I'm sure there is a lot more for me to learn regarding the browser. I want to avoid using Netscape as I feel it has a tendency to crash. I have been doing a lot of surfing and have yet to experience any problems.
As for mail, it works great too. I miss having a 'Next' button that takes me directly to the next unread mail when I skip around and read the important mail first, then want to go through the list to read the rest. As with the browser, the text in email is teeny tiny. Perhaps there are a few setting somewhere which will solve the font size issues. I haven't taken the time to dig that deep, have had too much fun playing. :)
Silly as it seems, I kinda miss FreeCell and Solitaire. Old habits die hard. hehehee

OP
K

Kathie

Ohhhhh, and I miss the scroll wheel too! Am trying to find out if a scroll wheel and right-clicker will work if I get a Logitech mouse. Anyone use one?

OP
S

shadov

I have a Logitech mouse and it works perfectly. Just plug it in.

Interesting to see some one that still uses Netscape (or used untill recently). I tought it more or less died couple of years ago and everybody moved on to Mozilla or Opera (or god forbid IE).

For driving mouse around in Safari:
"Command + [" = Go back in history
"Command + ]" = Forward

Or you could use Mouse Gestures. There is a program called Cocoa Gestures that enables mouse gestures in Safari and some other programs.

Opera has mouse gestures built in and there is a plugin for Mozilla.

Text size:
View -> Make Text Bigger/Smaller

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
guys, guys, its simple.
want to have text bigger?
just press comand and + or - to make it smaller.miss your right clik? or scroll?. get the new mouse. i use logitech 8 button mouse. all work fine. just make sure you install logitech control center. you can download it from apple website in drivers compatrment.

OP
S

StarManta

Pretty muxh any USB mouse works quite happilt in OS X. If you want one that looks good too, macmice.com sells a nice one. :)

OP
K

Kathie

Thanks for the hints!! You are making my first Mac experience even better!! :)

OP
D

dglenn

text size in Safari & Mail

To increase the text size within a web page or e-mail hold the 'apple key' and press the + key. It works for me in Safari, but for some reason not in Mail.

Reaction score
The latest version of Netscape (beta) allows you to select Firefox or IE for the browsing engine and I believe that this is on a per-tab basis. Of course only Windows is offered. Don't know if they're going to do a Mac version.

One thing that I miss is middle-mouse-click.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
mmoy said:
One thing that I miss is middle-mouse-click.

You can middle click on a Mac. I use it for Expose. Most scrolling mice use the scroll wheel as a third button.

OP
K

Kokopelli

I must confess I am a one-button reject. I need at least 3 buttons to feel adequate. :)

I use side track and have the button to act as left click, upper left is desktop, lower left is expose, upperright is right click, and lower left is middle click. I could live without right click but I am addicted to using middle click to open links in new tabs.

Reaction score
D3v1L80Y said:
You can middle click on a Mac. I use it for Expose. Most scrolling mice use the scroll wheel as a third button.

Firefox doesn't seem to support the middle-click.

OP
K

Kokopelli

mmoy said:
Firefox doesn't seem to support the middle-click.

It does not on the Mac for some mysterious and infuriating reason. Camino, Safari, and Shiira do though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Kokopelli said:
It does not on the Mac for some mysterious and infuriating reason. Camino, Safari, and Shiira do though.

The Mac optimized builds of firefox do support the middle click. Or at least the one I have now does. Not sure where I got it though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
I use the arrow keys when scrolling through forums and command-arrow key to go back or forward.
I have a MacMice mouse ( try to say that quickly :) for scrolling and have the scroll button set for back but still find the arrow keys quicker.

To increase the text size in Safari use command+ or the tool bar button. For received mail that has a tiny size font just select the text and then command+
Have fun with your Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.