Essentials...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33GHz Intel C2D 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM 120GB SATA 2GB SDRAM
Hello's to all...
I'm new to this forum due to the fact that I just got a MacBook Pro this weekend. For the longest time I've had PC's are my finger tips. I work on a Mac at my office and when I was in school. So, I know some things about macs, but not as much as I do about PC's. With that said...

I was curious if there are any essential programs I need to install onto my laptop to keep it lean and clean?

Here are a couple I've found that might be good to have?

Thank you for any thoughts, suggestions and help given. I know I could search this forum for everything, but quite frankly, I don't have the time since I'm at work right now.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i don't have experience with the ones you mentioned - but for the "lean and mean" angle i've seen "onyx" mentioned a few times on these boards (also lets you switch on/off hidden file viewing). i downloaded it and have used it a few times and it works like a charm.

i'd also suggest:

unison (excellent newsreader)

and checking the thread for "switchers guide to osx" right here on these forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
perhaps we should create a sticky topic to address this question? In the relatively short time I've been here so far, I recall around 3 previous topics asking the same thing.

Once established I think it should be locked (editable to mods) so people don't add too much to it. I think it would make a great 1st stop to people in Chicago's situation :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
perhaps we should create a sticky topic to address this question? In the relatively short time I've been here so far, I recall around 3 previous topics asking the same thing.
The link that eric provided IS a sticky thread. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
ah, I see. I haven't checked out that part of the forum yet. Must check it out then :)

I think a similar sticky here, or at least a shadow topic to it wouldn't hurt though - considering the number of similar topics popping up in this part of the forum.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33GHz Intel C2D 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM 120GB SATA 2GB SDRAM
NEVER a bad idea to repeats things on the web. Especially forums since there are different threads and sub-forums. That sticky, IMHO, would make a lot of sense to be placed in this sub-forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 1.83GHz C2D, 2Gig ram
I second the reco for onyX. Seems like a great little program. :)

Also, pimpmysafari.com is also a good place to visit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.