Installing BSD

Reaction score
Okay, so I downloaded forty-two which is a free converting tool and when I try to convert a DVD it says that the BSD must be installed on your computer. It also says that I can install this from the OS X Installation Discs.

Where exactly on the disc do I find the files to install? And I am not going to have to completely reinstall OS X, am I? By the way, I have a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.4.8 and...well...let's say that I am much more experienced with Windows XP than I am with OS X so be gentle with me. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
It's specifically asking for the BSD subsystem, which is what makes OS X into a Unix based OS. Did you install the machine yourself? You have to do a custom install of 10.4 to specifically remove the BSD subsystem.

The easiest way would probably be to reinstall, but do an 'archive and install'. This lets you reinstall the underlying operating system, but leave the settings, users, applications and data intact. It's in the 'customize' section of the installation.

OP
D
Reaction score
Okay, that is kind of what I was thinking I would have to do. Thanks for the reply.

OP
D
Reaction score
Okay, I tried doing an archive and install, but when I am selecting things to install under the customize menu there is no option for BSD subsystem. There are things like language, printer drivers, X 11, bundled software, ect. Where do I select anything the option for the BSD subsystem? Also, I am a little confused, am I installing or removing the BSD subsystem? And is there going to be any effects with OS X?

By the way, the first install was what was stock from Apple on my MacBook pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
You didn't have to do all that to install BSD subsystem. Here is how you do that.
1) Insert the installation DVD #1
2) Open new Finder window(Column View) and goto Mac OS X Install Disc 1 > System > Installation > Packages
3) Select BSD.pkg and double click
4) Follow the instructions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
If it was a stock install (I did ask in my original response :)) then the BSD subsystem is present; it's a complete install of pretty much everything. It sounds like whatever is trying to detect the BSD subsystem is failing to properly notice it, rather than it not being there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.