What exactly is Quicksilver?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM, 160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm, SuperDrive 6x
I noticed it in the starters guide, in the thread created by "Eric", but there was no description about what it was. It was made out to be the end all, be all program, so I am interested.

-Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Its basically a launcher program. If you have ever used Spotlight to search for a program to open it up then you know that it is not exactly instantaneous. With QuickSilver if I want to open up google earth I hit my hot key (Ctrl + Space) and just start typing google earth. It finds things instantly even if you miss a key in the spelling. You can also install plugins for search engines and individual programs to control them via hotkeys. I use imdb a ton but rather then go up to the address bar to type imdb and then search I just hit Ctrl + Space, type imdb, the imdb search icon appears in quicksilvers gui, I hit enter, type what I want to look for and as soon as I hit enter it will either create a new tab if my browser is open, or open my browser and do the search.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
like tprnmonkey41 said, quicksilver is an app, file, anything launcher. i don't know if i could live without it now that im so used to useing it, i never have to open finder and go to applications or anything, i love it.

Reaction score
Best thing to do is go to the website, Google and read up on it. It's a bit like Automator, in that you have to decide what you want it to do rather than it offer you a list of tasks it can perform.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Yea QuickSilver is defiantly an App every Mac needs...:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
would love it if apple includes it in leopard as part of the os. I like when apple makes things part of osx that they tend to make it better, I think quicksilver with apples touch would really make the operating system like that much better.

other then that, I use quicksilver al the time, and could not live with out it.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM, 160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm, SuperDrive 6x
I don't have a Mac yet, so I can't really grasp what you mean. I will be sure to download it though!

Reaction score
How much system resources does Quicksilver take up? I've been using it for a while and have noticed a slight dip in performance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
on my computer 15mb ram and 0% or cpu when not being used.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
i heard it will run on g4's not g3's though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
Isnt there a power mac g4 quicksilver model?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
QuickSilver is such a great app. and one of my favourites. It is free, frequent updates and improvements, tons of plugins. You can't ask for more..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
on my computer 15mb ram and 0% or cpu when not being used.

Mine is at around 30mb memory because I have a ton of plugins and customized skin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
would love it if apple includes it in leopard as part of the os. I like when apple makes things part of osx that they tend to make it better, I think quicksilver with apples touch would really make the operating system like that much better.

other then that, I use quicksilver al the time, and could not live with out it.

Apple will be modifying Spotlight in Leopard, to allow for a faster application launching system, just like Quicksilver. Ask and ye shall receive!

Reaction score
n00b question - I just d/led quicksilver and like what I can do with it, it seems like i will be able to function w/o having to go to my apps in the dock. but how do I get it so i can open it w/ the hot keys and whatnot? I've been fiddling around and haven't found a good solution. I haven't really learner how to work those, sans the spotlight one. which I used to open quicksilver, go figure

also, what advantages does quicksilver have over spotlight? i know there have to be some since the people here seem to think its a necessity

thanks

Reaction score
You have to configure your trigger in the preferences. I've got a few set up on my Mac, such as prepending to a to-do text file (hit f2), opening a specific Excel file (f4), emailing my wife (alt-cmd-opt+R), rating the current iTunes track (alt-opt+1-5 on the keypad).

You first need to decide what you want to do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.