MP3 Tag Editor

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good MP3 tag editor? I know that I can make changes in iTunes, but I would prefer something which can edit in batches. Ideally, it would also be able to rename files based on their tags, as I prefer my MP3 files to be of the form '01 - Track name.mp3'.

I've tried a few different apps, but haven't managed to find anything as good as Tag & Rename in windows (http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm). Given how good the Mac is at handling all things media otherwise, I'm sure there must be something out there which can do all that I require.

TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8GB iPhone, MacBook Pro (15",2.33 C2D), MacBook (2.0 C2D), 4 iPods (20GB, Mini, Nano, Shuffle)
There are tons out there, but I regret I've not tried many of them yet. Over the past couple of years, I've just done a lot of work manually in iTunes. There are some great Applescripts and add-ons for iTunes at Doug's Applescripts for iTunes.

Here's a link to the library there for managing track info:
http://www.dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/scripts09.php

Hope this helps a little. If you find a cool app out there, please post and let everyone know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Can anyone recommend a good MP3 tag editor? I know that I can make changes in iTunes, but I would prefer something which can edit in batches. Ideally, it would also be able to rename files based on their tags, as I prefer my MP3 files to be of the form '01 - Track name.mp3'.

I've tried a few different apps, but haven't managed to find anything as good as Tag & Rename in windows (http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm). Given how good the Mac is at handling all things media otherwise, I'm sure there must be something out there which can do all that I require.

TIA

you could try looking at www.versiontracker.com or www.macupdate.com

tons of good apps on both of those sites.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I wrote a little shell script (runs in Terminal) which does the opposite of what you state (i.e. it tags the file based on the name, assuming the name is in the form of artist - title - album.mp3) that tags all .mp3 files in a folder using a little command line utility called id3v2. I suppose one could modify it to rename a file based on a tag. Here's the code:

--------

# The bash for built-in is kind of stupid when dealing with whitespace...
# or feature filled depending on your point of view. From my point of view,
# it's stupid. So, in order for uh, for to deal with song names with whitespace
# we must convert the whitespace to something else so for doesn't do
# this loop for each WORD, rather than each line. sed to the rescue!

ls *.mp3 > stupidfile.tmp
for tune in `cat stupidfile.tmp | sed s/' '/~/g` ; do
# assign loopy var to working var that sed puts back
# since we're now in the loop we can get away with this

TUNENAME=`echo ${tune} | sed s/~/' '/g`

ARTISTE=`echo $TUNENAME | awk -F \ \- '{print $1}'`
TITLE=`echo $TUNENAME | awk -F \ \- '{print $2}' | sed s/' '//`
ALBUM=`echo $TUNENAME | awk -F \ \- '{print $3}' | sed s/'_'/':'/g | sed s/.mp3// | sed s/' '//`

# For some reason, we have to do it this way
echo id3v2 -2 -a \"$ARTISTE\" -t \"$TITLE\" -A \"$ALBUM\" -g 20 \"$TUNENAME\" >> tagemid3v2.shl
sh tagemid3v2.shl

# clean up your toys when you're done timmy
rm -f stupidfile.tmp tagemid3v2.shl
done

--------

id3v2 is a darwin ports program which can tag, display and do a bunch of other stuff from the command line. One could modify the code to have id3v2 to extract the tag information and then do a rename much in the same way (though perhaps without all that "sed-in' and awk'n", perhaps with perl) for all mp3s (or .aac or whatever format the music is in) in a given folder. I've actually thought of writing that, but just haven't gotten around to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.